|Chapter 15|

"Hey."

"Wake up."

"Wake up!"

My eyes shot open and I sat up but was pulled back down. I looked around, panic starting to seep into my system. It was dark and I couldn't see anything.

"Let me go! Let me—" A hand clamped over my mouth and I stared wide eyed.

"Shut. Up." Someone whispered. By the sound of it, I would have to take a guess that it was a man. Unless a woman had a deep voice and— Focus, Zoey!

I moved my hands, but they were bound down to whatever I was laying on. His hand slowly left my mouth and I could feel his body heat disappear. The panic I felt died down.

"Where am I?" I asked. My voice sounded rough and my throat was dry.

The man didn't answer me and I squinted my eyes, trying to see his figure in the dark. A crouched figure appeared in the corner of the room and I could feel him staring at me.

I cleared my throat, sitting myself up.

"Where am I?" I asked. My voice sounded stronger, but it was still dry.

"In a cell." He said.

"Why am I here?" I asked. I heard him scoff and chains echoed through the room.

"You already know that." He said. I nodded, but then remembered something.

"Did you see them bring in three other guys?" I asked, the panic returning.

"No. You're the only one that's in my cell." He said. I pulled my hands against the restraints.

"Are you a prescient?" I asked. My question was met with silence.

"Hello?"

"Look, kid, this isn't a Q and A, okay? I don't know you and you don't know me. Stop with the questions." He said. I glared into the darkness.

"Well, excuse me for wanting to know." I mumbled. He scoffed.

"You're excused."

A door slamming open caught my attention and I could hear heavy footsteps approaching. My stomach started to churn and I could feel myself gag.

"Don't trust anything they say." The man suddenly whispered.

"Wh—"

The door to the cell opened and light flooded the room. My eyes closed on their own from the burning light.

"I see you're awake."

I opened my eyes and saw the man from before. My stomach was going crazy and my hands were shaking so hard that I had to close them.

"Sorry. I don't think I've formally introduced myself. I am Sergeant James Callaway." He stuck his hand out for me to shake. I made a straight face and narrowed my eyes at him.

"Oh. I forgot. Sorry." He chuckled, walking over to me. He unbuckled the restraints on my arms and then the one over my torso.

"I hope that thing over there didn't give you much trouble, Miss Archer. He tends to ramble when he's with others." James said. I almost scoffed.

"No. He didn't say a word." I said.

My eyes connected with the man's in the corner and I could see the confusion in them.

"Really? Probably too hungry to talk. He doesn't eat the food we give him." The Sergeant said bitterly. I hummed.

"Really? I wonder why." I muttered.