|Chapter 38|

The car was drenched in silence for a good forty-five minutes. In that moment, I had time to think about everything that happened this past week. Call it... a reality check.

I'm a prescient. Someone that can predict events before they happen. I still haven't wrapped my head around that and as I go further into it, it just gets more confusing.

My mom is dead. I wish she didn't have to leave here that way. Staring into the barrel of a gun isn't the best way to die. I just... she didn't deserve it.

I don't care if she gave our location away and didn't believe a word I said. She was my mom and to watch her die like that... It should have been me staring down that barrel. Not her.

Matt is some child prescient commander, which I still cannot believe either. He's just an innocent kid, and I'm not getting that from the last interactions. Before all of this crap.

He was the sweetest kid I knew. He would draw pictures of us and talk about what he wanted to be when he grew up. He was nice and loving. He was my brother. But I guess that was all an act.

Then there is that white-eyed bastard. Came in like a silent storm. I still haven't been able to figure out what his deal is. He's a prescient, but how? He seems to hate us, but he gives in so easily. He helps when he feels like it then he turns on me.

Guess that's one thing that's been happening lately.

Kent and Michael, the dynamic duo. They seem to be getting along. They don't say much about what's happening, but sometimes I get looks from Michael. Looks of warning and sadness, like he wants to tell me something.

Kent seems to be going with the flow and I couldn't have been happier for it. Our past fights have put a damp in our friendship, but I think it will get better.

Conner is the real mystery. He walks around, saying not to trust them, but yet here he is, sitting in the backseat with two government officials in the front. I have yet to figure out what his involvement in this is. Maybe he's tied in with Gregory.

It seems everyone is these days.

"You're going to grow grey hairs with all that thinking you're doing." Kade whispered in my ear. I shivered from his warm breath.

I looked at him, slightly glaring.

"How do you do it?"

"Do what?" His white eyes fell over my face and it felt like he was looking into my eyes. Who knows, maybe he is.

"You listen to my thoughts, but I can't do it with you. That has to be a two-way street." I said. He smirked.

"It's one of the tricks I've learned with being a prescient." He said.

"Well, I want to know how you're doing it." He shook his head.

"No can do. You have your powers, I have mine." I rolled my eyes.

"What powers, Kade?" I asked, starting to get angry.

"Making people float and twisting necks without touching them doesn't seem like a power to you?"

"You know what I mean. Don't twist the answer. Tell me. What powers do I have exactly? Am I as powerful as they say I am?" He didn't say anything and after a while of him looking at me, he looked back ahead of him.

"The conversation wasn't over."

"It was. Hence me turning back around." He muttered. I gritted my teeth, crossing my arms over my chest.

"Hey, Zoey." I sat up to look at Kent.

"Yeah?"

"You didn't happen to pick up a candy bar when you were in the store, did you?" He asked. I chuckled, nodding.