|Chapter 33|

Tennessee.

Of all the places he could be. He has to be in Tennessee. Where in Tennessee?

I hope he's okay. Of course he is, Zoey. This is Matt we're talking about. The one who singlehandedly finished a whole pan of hamburger helper by himself. Okay, I have no idea how that relates to him being okay.

Okay. Get yourself together. I have to focus and control myself.

I looked up at Conner and saw he was giving me a weird look. I blew out a breath. Michael was sitting in one of the chairs in front of Haines' desk and he hadn't said a word since he became conscious.

Guilt began to grip me, but I shook it off. There are more important things that I need to worry about right now.

"Let's go," I whispered. He nodded and looked back at Haines. He was sitting in his chair and he still sported a glare on his face.

"I'm sorry," I said. His eyes flashed a bright brown before dying down.

"No. It's fine. It's going to help you along the way." He said, a soft smile on his face. This guy and his mood swings.

"What do you mean?" He shook his head and stood up.

"You'll find out soon enough. Come. I'll walk you out." He opened the door, but not before taking off his glasses. I raised a brow at him.

"Have to keep my disguise, right?"

I walked out the door, the guys following behind me. I glanced back at Kent and Cain. They were both staring at me with a look on their face.

Kent looked scared out of his mind and it made me feel bad. My eyes drifted over to Cain and I wasn't shocked at all to see suspension written all over his face. He looked like he was having an internal battle with himself and by the look on his face, I'll say the bad side was winning.

Michael was looking everywhere except at me. His hands were clenched tightly into fists and I could tell he was angry.

"If you come here again, we will have no choice but to kill you." Haines' voice was harsh and I looked back at him. He was glaring at me, but I could see the amusement in his eyes.

"What? You're letting them go?" The brown-eyed man from before came to stand beside the Sergeant and he was practically seething.

"They haven't harmed anyone here," Haines said. The man stepped towards me and I could feel my muscles tense.

"She has killed people! Our people. She's a killer who deserves to die." He gritted out. I blew out a breath.

"How many people have you killed? Hundreds? Thousands even? You have no right to call me a killer." I said. He pointed his gun at me and I could feel something jump inside of me.

"You're not leaving this outpost alive. Neither of you is." He pointed the gun at each of us and I couldn't help but laugh.

"You're going to shoot us? I'd like to see you try." I crossed my arms over my chest and I could feel a breeze blow by my face.

"Put the gun down, Lieutenant," Haines ordered. The Lieutenant shook his head no and stepped closer to me.

"Don't test me. I will shoot you. Then all of this will be over." I sighed, walking up to him.

"There aren't any bullets in that pistol," I said. I stopped in front of him, slightly tilting my head up so I could look him in his eyes.

"Yes, there is. I can show you right now." He threatened. I smiled, chuckling.