Chapter Twenty-Five

PART THREE: KATHERYN

Katheryn...

"Aah!" I send my dagger flying across the room and into the door frame. I'm sweating profusely but feel chills travel up and down my spine.

A month ago, Joy had a vision about Lucifer; he was going to finish me off himself. Ever since she told me, I've been sweating through my pajamas almost every night. I force myself to eat even though I'm always too upset to and sleeping is a pain in my ass.

There is always that whisper, buzzing around in my mind, disrupting me from my slumber. Sometimes I wonder if Lucifer is going standing before me when I wake.

What drives me even more crazy is that I don't know when Lucifer will return to Sky after so many years. It could be 10 seconds from now or 10 months. All I do know is that Lucifer, ruler of the Creatures, is going to kill me.

Katheryn...

"Shut up," I shout while my voice trembles.

Joy opens the door cautiously. There has been many incidents where I've nearly killed her whenever she tries to sneak up on me or practically startles me. Every movement or noise scares me, like a cat when they hear a loud clap.

"It's just me, Kat." Joy laughs before taking the blade out of the wall. "Nice aim, by the way." She points at the many other holes I have stabbed into the wall.

"Thanks." My breathing is shaky but my heartbeat is steady.

"You want me to stay? 'Cause I will." Joy leans against the wall and smiles very unnaturally. I couldn't help but laugh, just a little.

"No. It's OK. Thanks." I curl myself under the covers and face toward the wall. "And place the weapon on my dresser before you leave, Joy"

Joy does set the dagger on my dresser, but she doesn't leave. Instead, she sits on the edge of my bed. "Kat," she sighs. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to scare you. I-"

"Joy, it's alright. I'm glad you told me. And I can handle it. It's OK."

"OK. Well, sweet dreams, Kat."

I roll my eyes in the dark; Joy knows good and well that I can no longer have sweet dreams.

***

A soft knocking on my door is the first thing I hear to start the day.

"Princess!" It's Sarah and Emily. "Visitor!"

Visitor? I place my dagger in my ankle holster and follow the ladies to the Great Room. To my utter surprise, I find Jason leaning against a pillar in casual clothes.

"Jason!" And to my surprise, I raced toward him and wrapped my arms around his neck, before slapping him silly. I guess I just needed a reason to be mad at him. I always used to be mad at him.

"What the hell?"

"Sorry. I just-" I change the subject "I see you've been doing better."

Jason scoffs, "Oh don't play dumb."

"What?"

"I've been talk to Joy about you and she tells me that you're not sleeping. That bothers me, Katheryn." Jason crosses his arms tightly in front of his chest.

I ask, "You ask about me?"

Jason blushes. "What?"

"Do you think about me, Jason," I ask, half teasing him.

"That's not the point, Katheryn," Jason stammers. "Don't try to change the subject."

"I'm fine, Jason," I reassure him. "You're acting like my nightmares are something new. And besides, since when did you ever care about me?"

Jason pauses too long for comfort. "I've always cared about you."

I could feel my heart skip a beat. I gasp softly but try my best not to show any reaction. How is it even possible that Jason could care about me and how is it possible that I might feel the same way toward him.

Jason looks down at his toes. "I lost Frosty, I don't wanna lose you. If there's something wrong, tell me. Or not. Just talk to someone."

"I don't have to."

"Katheryn-"

"Jason, I'm fine!" I could hear the mirrors rattle. It felt almost impossible to remain calm around Jason.

I take a small breath. "Really." I turn and leave Jason alone in the Great Room. I wish he knew the secret was a secret for a reason; to protect him and everyone I cared about.

***

"Kat, you realize he acts that way is because he loves you," Joy says after I've finished telling her about my Jason encounter.

"Don't start, Joy," I say as I wave my pointer finger at her. I can't think about that kind of stuff right now. Probably ever; I only have one priority and it's Lucifer. He's in the red while Jason is in the gray.

"And in love with you," Joy adds, her smile wide.

"Joy, cut it out," I warn.

She raises her hands in surrender. "My bad. Can't help but speak the truth. Jace is in love with Kat."

I give her a mean scowl which causes her to apologize again. "But enough about him. We have greater things to talk about; important things."

"Like what," I sigh.

"Guess who's birthday is coming up," Joy asks in a sing-song voice. "Next week actually."

Oh yeah, I'm turning 18. So much happened since Erin had brought me back home to learn the truth about my identity. It seemed as if that was forever ago but at the same time, it seemed like it flew by. I used to be a scared, quiet kid. Now, I'm the Princess of Sky.

And a target to Lucifer.

"And 18," Joy chimed in excitedly. "You're a big kid now! You already know that there's going to be a big party in your honor! It's gonna be so fun!"

"Joy, I don't really want a party."

"What," Joy asks with a hint of disappointment in her voice.

When I was on Earth, Mom would buy me an entire box of pizza and a personal cake that I could have all to myself. I mean, I didn't have any friends and Mom was about the only family I had, so there was never a big party.

Besides, I don't need a big extravaganza with people I don't even know and they're only there for the cake.

"It's all just too much, Joy," I answer. "And since I'm the Princess, the Palace would have to obey my wishes."

Joy crosses her arms. "Well, you should at least expect a butt-load of presents. You are the Princess, after all."Sometimes I feel like that's the problem.

All of a sudden, A hoarse voice shouts loudly, "Katheryn!" I stand suddenly and ready my dagger.

"Kat, what's wrong?" Joy suddenly cautious herself.

"You can't hear that," I grunt. "You didn't hear that?"

"No, I didn't."

I know I'm not going crazy; especially since I know this stuff is real.

"Katheryn are you alright," Joy asks. I can hear the concern in her voice.

I try to recollect myself. If Lucifer doesn't kill me now, I might just go absolutely insane. "Sure," I lie. "I'm fine."