Chapter Twelve

Erin said the Creatures would be coming soon, but all in all it'll be a surprise attack. While I wait for the great battle, my nightmares have gone insane.

I always keep Frosty and Jason up at night with my screaming and grunting. I always wake up with my dagger clenched ever so tightly in my hand. I just sleep with the pain and I can't do anything about it.

I woke up one night and Frosty was at the foot of the bed staring at me with a mix of worry and fear painted on her face. I always try to reassure her that I'm okay, but some nights Frosty is there at the foot of the bed, watching me.

***

I'm in my Palace bedroom, brushing my long red hair, when I hear a light bustling in my closet. I set my brush on my dresser and go to open the closet door.

When my hand rests on the doorknob, the noise stops. I decide to shrug it off and go back to brushing my hair.

It happens so fast; Jason bursts out my closet tackles me to the floor. His cold hands are wrapped around my throat and he's strangling me, I can't breathe. I struggle to free myself from his strong grip. Jason looks me right in the eyes, only his eyes are black.

"You don't think I'm scared Katheryn." Jason says, his voice distorted. "We're all very scared."

Jason then transforms into a Creature. His sly grin and yellow teeth make my body go numb. Jason whispers, "You should be."

He hisses at me and raises his claw to shred me to pieces.

I'm hyperventilating, gasping desperately for air, as if I'm still trying to catch my breath. I squeeze the dagger so tightly in my hand that it hurts somewhat.

I run to the bathroom and vomit until my throat burns. My body still feels numb, so I can't move around right. I sit and lean against the bathtub, my nose runs and my face is damp with the sweat.

Jason runs into the bathroom but stops in midway when he sees the condition I'm in. I bet I look a mess. Jason tries approaching me but I'm begin screaming at him. "No! Get away from me! I'll kill you!"

Jason still, very slowly, steps into the bathroom.

"Leave me alone." I whimper. 

 "Katheryn-" He begins.

"No! Leave me alone! I'm not kidding; I can and will slit your throat."

Jason kneels before me and moves a strand of my wet hair behind my ear. "I'm not the enemy here." He circles his thumb on my wrist while he takes the dagger away from me.

"No," I whimper as I try to reach for it, but Jason shushes me.

Then Jason takes me in his arms and cradles me as if I was a baby. He lifts me from the floor and carries me down the hall. I don't question it because I don't want this tender feeling in the pit of my stomach to go away.

Jason sets me in his bed and cuddles up next to me; he even makes sure I have most of the blankets.

"What are you doing," I ask sleepily.

"Whenever I had bad dreams," Jason whispers. "My mother would hold me just like this."

"Yeah, mine too," I sniff.

"Is it working," he asks.

I rest my head on his chest and his heartbeat lulls me to sleep.

***

One side of the bed is cold when I wake up this morning. I reach out feel for Jason but he has left me alone in his bed. I hear the shower water running down the hall; he's most likely bathing.