Chapter Five

• इन्हें समर्पित: legendaky

dedicated to @legendaky for the beautiful banner!

The rest of the week was pretty much normal and it rained over the weekend. I tried not to bring up anymore supernatural conversations. I kept most of my thoughts to myself to refrain from seeming more crazy than I already am.

Mom was no help and if did I talk about it around her she would just come up with another silly excuse that I really didn't feel like hearing. Her excuses make me feel I'm really delusional and I don't need that, at the moment.

***

"Katheryn."

Mom comes home from work and the expression on her face is hard to read. She sets her purse on the floor and kneels on the floor in front of me.

I sit up a bit on the couch. "What is it, Mom," I ask. "Is there something wrong?"

"Yes there is," Mom says. "There's something wrong with me."

For a split second, I thought she was making fun of me, which I would not tolerate from my own mother, until I let her continue.

"I'm sorry, Kat," Mom says, her eyes becoming glossy. "I know you're going through a lot right now and I haven't been a good mother."

"Mom," I whisper.

"I haven't been very supportive to you and I'm sorry."

"Mommy," I say. "You have been supportive. You used to get me help and took me to doctor's visits. And most importantly, you would let snuggle me whenever I had bad dreams."

Mom smiles even though tears stream down her face.

"I don't know what I would do without you, Mom."

Mom laughs softly and pulls me in for a hug. I know I've been expecting a lot from her and that was wrong of me. How could anyone understand me if I don't even understand myself. I'm grateful for my mother and I'll never forget that.

"I love you, Katheryn," Mom says.

"I love you too."

Mom pulls away and wipes her tears. "You know what this calls for? A cake!"

My eyes enlarge. "You're not gonna cook the cake, are you?"

Mom rolls her eyes. "Well then, smarty-pants. If you don't want me to cook it, you can go to the store yourself and buy a cake." She hands me a $20 bill.

"Alright then," I say stuffing the money in my pocket.

"But be back soon," Mom calls out. "It's getting dark out.

***

I decided walk to the store, which probably wasn't a good idea. The store I'm going to is a long ways away. "I should just go back home," I think aloud, "Mom'll understand."

Just as I'm about to dial Mom, my phone rings and guess who it is.

"Hey Mom," I answer.

"Kat, are you on your way home? You've been gone a while."

"No Mom, I'm still heading to the store."

"I think you should just come back," Mom urges.

"But I'm already-"

I'm interrupted by a soft pitter patter. I turn spin around in place and examine my surroundings but I see nothing but streetlights and and a few cars whizzing by.

"Hello?"

Mom's voice brings me back. "Oh yeah, hey," I say slightly distracted.

"You OK, Kat?"

Wingsजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें