Chapter Fourteen

I wake up in the hospital. I'm strapped to two IV bags; one bag is full of saline and another is full of dark red liquid.

A muscular older woman dressed in scrubs enters my room and smiles when she notices me. "Oh, good afternoon, Princess." She comes toward the stretcher and rests her hand on my forehead. "You're cooling down from your fever but it's not where I would like it."

I murmur, "Where am I?"

"Where do you think?" The nurse fills a small cup with red liquid and hands it to me. "It taste horrible, but it makes you feel better, trust me. Drink," She commands.

"How long have I been out," I ask.

"About two weeks, maybe two and a half."

I drink the red liquid and gag. I lift my hospital gown to examine my scars. I have stitches all along my stomach, across my chest and over my shoulder; the wound on my calve is wrapped.

The doctor chuckles, "It took two surgeons to create that beautiful masterpiece." She sighs. "You lost so much blood, it was ridiculous."

I try to sit up but the nurse commands me to lie back down and get some rest. I protest, "Haven't I already been sleeping for two and a half weeks?"

"Just because you were unconscious, doesn't mean you've been resting, Princess." The nurse removes her gloves and her face mask.

"I can't remember," I think aloud. "I can't remember anything that happened after I blacked out."

The nurse beamed. "Ah! Princess, it was spectacular! You reached Ultimate Power! It was both was amazing and extremely terrifying. It was like you weren't even yourself, like you were a different person."

"What?" That never happened; I never reached Ultimate Power. Even if I did, I would've remembered.

The nurse sighs, "Well, I understand if you don't remember. As long as you're alive, that's all that matters."

The nurse hands me another cup of red liquid and forces it down my throat. My eyes become heavy instantly. "You need to rest Princess. Rest."

A couple of hours have passed when I'm awakened by the sound of light footsteps. I assume it's the nurse again so I shut my eyes and pretend to be asleep.

The doors creak open and the nurse walks, very slowly, around the bed before she takes a seat. "Why are you doing this?" It's a male voice. It's not the nurse, it's Jason.

"Listen to me okay? Are you listening? I need you to live. I need you to be OK," Jason whispers.

I can't believe he feels this way. No, he only wants me alive because I'm the Princess. Nothing more, nothing less. I should just lie here and pretend to be dead, dying doesn't seem so bad. It might be really peaceful. Maybe if I lie here for a long enough time, I just might die.

Jason wraps a strand of my hair behind my ear; he strokes my cheek. "You're such a freaky redhead." I don't open my eyes. Maybe he'll leave soon.

"Katheryn please," Jason whimpers. "Just open your eyes. If you're not gonna do it for me, do it for Frosty. You mean a lot to her."

I forgot about Frosty, I can't hurt her. I must open my eyes, for Frosty. I "wake up" and turn towards Jason. He quietly sighs in relief. "So, you finally decided to wake up, Little Miss Princess."

I ignore him. "Where's Frosty? I want to see her, to let her know that I'm okay."

"She's in the waiting room, but don't worry about it. I'll let her know that you're breathing properly."

"No," I argue. "I need to see Frosty."

"Katheryn, what you need is some rest."

"Why does everyone keep saying that?"

Jason chuckles. "You should be tired from reaching Ultimate Power."

Ok, now why does everyone keep saying that? I almost died and two weeks later, I'm in here. The End.

When the nurse walks in, she scolds me. "What part of 'rest' do you not understand, Princess?"

***

After another day or two, I'm finally allowed to leave the hospital. I'm moved to the Palace and back into the room I was in when I arrived.

I was welcomed with open arms and the Wings that lived and worked in the Palace were very happy to see that I was returning home.

I look in the new mirror I received while some women unpack my things. Everything is changing.

I'm a Wing in Sky. More importantly, I'm the Princess. This is my home, my... family. They're my responsibility.

Princess Katheryn Luna. I better get used to it.