Chapter Twenty-Three: Katheryn

Jason has been doing better. I mean, I haven't seen him since that day, but Joy has. "He's doing great," she says.

I haven't been feeling great, however. I feel uncomfortable and fidgety, like how I used to be when I hadn't taken my pills in a while. I have been feeling this way for some time now. I wish Luna was here; she would understand, she would help me with these "feelings."

"Why don't you go talk to her then?"

Why can't I have one moment of privacy? I mean, jeez!

"Cause, I'm awesome like that," Joy answers. "You know you like it."

I change the subject. "Joy, if you haven't noticed, Luna died almost 20 years ago."

"I know, silly. I mean, you can still see her in the Palace basement."

What? "The Palace has a basement," I ask, feeling kind of slow.

"Yeah. It's only used for holding the fallen. Dead queens and kings, I mean."

I stand and grab Joy by the wrists. "Show me."

***

The Palace basement is behind one of the many mirrors that surround the walls of the Great Room as not to be trespassed. Joy pries open the mirror and opens the hatch to the basement.

Like most basements, it's dusty and dark. Some torches light the path but that's pretty much it. Joy and I walk down some steps until we finally reach the basement.

At the very front, near the entrance, there's a metal bench and an oven.

"Why-" I start

"They cut of their wings and cremate their bodies." Joy says it as if it's no big deal. "And you'll see why," she adds.

On both walls, there are many beautiful, sparkling wings in glass cases. Along with the wings, there are elegant vases with the Queen's or King's names on them along with their birth through their death.

So, so many wings. So, so many fallen royals. The first I approach is a King. His name was Manii and he died 80 years after his birth. Lucky for him, the Creatures were probably the good guys during this time.

"Luna's would be all the way down there." Joy points way down the long hall. "I'll leave you alone."

I fly all the way down the hall until I reach the end. Luna's wings are the most beautiful things I have ever seen. They're glowing a glistening golden. Her plaque says her birthday through three months after mine. I press my hand against the glass, wanting desperately to caress her wings.

"Luna," I whisper, tears threatening to flow. "Luna, I hope you can hear me. I need your help. I can't be a Princess on my own. Please tell how to do this."

I press my forehead on the glass and stare at the intricate designs on her wings. "It's funny, Luna. I don't even know you, but I feel like I would love you anyway if you were still alive."

"Katheryn," A voice whispers.

I lift my head in amazement, thinking that Luna answered. "Yes?"

Just then, I hear a slight rumbling. I step back only to be bombarded by shattered glass, crumbling walls, and ashes; Luna's ashes. Her wings fall to the floor and break into a million pieces while her ashes scatter across the floor.

"No!" That was the only piece of Luna I had and it's gone. I look ahead of me and I see a Creature hovering over the debris. He wildly grins at me and sharpens his claws together. Call me crazy, but it looked as if he had been crying. I quickly stand and whip out my dagger from my holster, waiting for him to attack first.