Chapter Seven

"Wake up, sunshine!" Frosty's chipper morning greeting woke me from my slumber.

"Unh," I moan into the pillow.

I look up and notice that I'm in the same place I was yesterday. I wasn't home where I was supposed to be. This wasn't all just some bad dream.

I bury face in my hands and begin to cry because I realize something. I realize that as much I want this to be a dream, I'll never wake up.

***

I walk downstairs to see Jason eating rice and soup for breakfast. To my surprise, he greets with a smile.   

"Where's Frosty," I ask.

"At school," he answers.

"What do you mean she's at school?" I ask.   

Jason says, "We're not total freaks, you know. We still go to school." I roll my eyes.

Jason looks up from his food. "What happened to you?"

"What do you mean?"

"I mean it looks like you've been crying," he says finally. "Have you been crying, Katheryn?"   

I look down at the floor. "So, are we just going to sit here all day?   

Jason goes to rinse of his bowl. "No, you need to go see Erin."

"Good. We need to have a talk. Will you take me to her? Please?" I ask with a soft voice.

Jason rolls his eyes, "Sure, I'll do anything for Little Miss Princess."

I follow him out the door. We walk back to the Palace quietly. While we walk, I can't help but stare at Jason's wings. They're so beautiful as they sparkle in the sunlight.

"You know staring is rude." Jason looks down at me and gives me small smile.

"Sorry," I apologize meekly. "It's kind of hard not to."

"Don't worry, you'll get yours in due time and then we won't have to do this stupid walking thing."

Me with wings; I can't even imagine myself soaring through the clouds with fairy wings.

After walking down some streets, we reach the tall, white building. I open the door and it looks bigger than it did yesterday. Erin stands near a pillar, waiting for me. "Hello Katheryn!"  She wears a green tank top and brown pants, so nature-y.

She starts to say something to me but I interrupt, "I still have questions that need to be answered."   

Erin nods her head, "Please ask away."   

"My first question is: What is Sky, what are the Wings, and what the heck are Creatures?" I know that was three questions, but they all seem to fit in the same category.   

"Sky is where we are right now; it's what we call home. We are the Wings, the people that live in Sky. There aren't many of us here in Sky, not very populated. The Creatures are the monsters that, you know, try to kill us."   

"When do you get your wings and your powers?"   

"Your wings begin to grow around puberty, but since your body has adapted to life on Earth they haven't grown in yet. I'm sure they'll come now, though. Same with your powers although not all Wings have powers."   

"Do I have powers and what are they?"   

"I don't know Katheryn," Erin says. "Have you ever experienced anything at all?"   

I try to remember. I was going to tell her about my incidents at school and last night, but I remember another time. I was in the 7th grade. I was at the park and some other kids were throwing rocks at me. One big rock hit me in the head.   

Out of pain and utter irritation, I screamed, "Stop it!"   

When I did, all the rocks froze in place. I grabbed the one closest to me, and then all the rocks fell to the ground. I felt so powerful having scared those kids. I was so amazed I wanted to show Mom, but when I tried to do it again, I couldn't.   

"Yeah, I can move things with my mind. That's pretty cool!"

Erin laughs at my excitement.

I ask my next question, "What is this place and what is a headmaster?"   

"The headmaster is like a vice president or a special helper. This building is your Palace. Both the headmaster and the Princess live in the Palace."

"So, whenever I'm not around, you're like the substitute teacher," I ask.

"Sure, why not?"

"I have one last question," I say. "How long am I going to stay here, in Sky?"    

Erin answers carefully, "Well, in reality, forever. You're our princess, we need you Katheryn."   

"What?" My eyes grow wide. "No, no way! I can't stay here!"

"Katheryn," Erin starts.

"No! You can't make me stay here!" Tears are running down my cheeks. I don't to be this way forever, I want it all to disappear; to be one horrible nightmare.   

I hear Jason's voice, "Uh, you might want to calm down just a little."

I look around and notice the mirrors are starting to crack. I don't care, all of these mirrors creeped me out anyway. Erin rests her hands on my shoulders but I break away from her.

"Don't," I mumble before running off.   I push open the long doors and run all the way to back Frosty's house. Jason enters after me moments later.

"What is your problem," he shouts. "Oh wait, don't answer that. I already know! You are weak!"

"Oh I would beg to differ," I yell back, only louder. "After all I've been through, I've still managed to cling on to some of my sanity!"

"Oh, cut the bullcrap," Jason retorts. "You're mother was much better at your job than you are!"

I laugh hysterically. "I don't even know who my real mother is. I don't know if you noticed, Jason, but I've only been here a day and having all of this sink in is harder than you would think!"

"You see, all you do is whine, whine, whine!"

"Screw you!"

Jason and I are standing close to each other and I could tell he was sizing me up. I'm not intimidated by a boy who could create ice with his fingers.

Jason was the first to back away. "Sorry," he mumbles.

Jeez, it was like this guy was bipolar, one moment he was sweet and the next, he was trying to break my neck.

"You just remember, Jason," I said. "I am trying to get used to this, but as far as we're both concerned I am your authority and I'm the most powerful Wing in Sky. So, I suggest you check yourself before I wreck you."

Jason didn't say anything, he just gave me a sideways smile; like he wasn't taking me seriously.

I wouldn't take me seriously either. Who am I kidding? I barely know how to control my powers or how to be a Princess. I had no right to threaten him, but felt damn good to.