My head snapped towards the dark blue drake immediately.

"But in the meanwhile... you must train hard. Time is limited; slipping away faster and faster. If Argon was to find you..." the dark blue drake trailed off, not meeting my eyes. With a quiet snarl, his silver eyes flashed dangerously as he continued. "Keep sparring. But keep in mind the battle you just saw outside."

I could do that.

Before Rutilus could turn his calculating gaze towards me, I swept into the sky. Beneath me, the red drake grunted in annoyance as I shook countless water droplets of me, all of them raining down on him. Amused, I risked a glance betneah me. Rutilus was already peering up at me carefully. Screeching gleefully, I glided effortlessly around the cave, taunting Rutilus.

Another grumble as he spread his dappled gold wings, launching after me powerfully. Too powerfully. If I moved out of his way, he would go barrelling into the cavern's wall, and I would win. There would not be so much as a fight.

But if I could win...

Hovering in the air, I watched as he streaked towards me. At the right moment, I ducked underneath him, using my tail to slap his exposed underbelly. Rutilus recoiled, barely stopping himself before he crashed int the wall.

Nostrils flaring, he glared at me. "Clever," he acknowledged with a dip of his head. "But that won't work again." Already, I could see the difference in his position - everything inside him seemed to relax. Not quite as powerful or fast, but it would be easier for him to react.

"We'll see about that," I chuckled, sweeping my wings about beside me as I circled the cavern once more. This time, not to taunt him, but to -

With a snarl, the red dragon leaped at me once more. Fast enough to throw me off balance, but much more careful this time round. Ducking under him would not work. And, with the distance between us rapidly disappearing, escaping would soon be out of question, too.

My talons pushed against the wall even as I threw myself towards Rutilus. Not even a moment later, and I yelped as hard scales were slammed against me. Trying to ignore the now throbbing pain, my talons swiped feebly at the red dragon. At least he too, was dazed.

Wind rushed past me, thrusting me down towards the ground. Alarmed, I pushed away from Rutilus. Wheezing, I struggled to breath the warm air around me. My chest throbbed, making each breath agony, and my throat burned.

Burned more than ever, demanding water, demanding to be soothed. Immediately.

Water, I needed water. Needed to sooth the fire in my throat, and aching chest.

No, I snarled fiercely, not daring to even think about the warm water beneath me. Must have fire. Surely there isn't long left!

From the corner of my eyes, I saw something lunged towards me, snapping bright red jaws. But I could do nothing, think nothing as the burning in my throat strengthened. Jaws gaping, I breathed out harshly, needing that burning to go away.

But it kept getting worse. Hotter, and hotter, and hotter, convulsing up my throat. Burning more, and more.

It needed to stop, it needed to stop, it needed to -

Heat flared from my mouth. So hot, that I screamed in pain. Scorching and raging fire, consuming me from the inside. I could have sworn I tasted smoke on my tongue, and saw the dark substance coiling from my jaws.

In front of me, Rutilus's eyes widened in alarm as he darted away.

Not even a moment later, fire spewed from my jaws. Glowing an unearthly shade of yellow, the fire writhed and tumbled, slowly flickering as it died away. 

Incredulously, I stared at the very spot where the bright yellow fire had dissipated. Disappeared; as though it had never been there. The wisps of smoke was the only evidence of the fire. Unable to turn away, I stared. Unable to comprehend what had just happened.

"What happened?" Kronx bellowed upon noticing that we were no longer sparring. His silver eyes widened as they followed the trailing smoke. Expectantly, he turned towards Rutilus, but the red drake merely shook his head, his own eyes wide.

I did not shrink away from the dark blue drake's intense stare.

Instead, I was still captivated by that very spot in which the fire, my fire, had disappeared.

When I opened my jaws, my throat did not burn. In fact, there was no trace of any of the burning I had just experienced. Not even an injury. Slightly relieved, I meekly mumbled, "fire."

§

1433 words

More edits for a few more chapters will be coming through soon. :D

Vote + Comment if you enjoyed