Chapter 20

"Boundless"

Astrid's P.O.V

My music was blaring. The streetlights were the only source of light, other than the convenience stores and any other vehicles we met on the way. I was never one to sleep in the car, but I couldn't say the same about Carter. He was curled up in the back seat with his head resting on my thigh. I would've taken a picture to tease him with, later on. However, I've already explained the situation about the lack of light. Elle picked up one of the photographers who is lovely. His name is Ollie James. His lean body didn't seem to suit his towering frame, but I promise he isn't nearly as terrifying as he sounds. He hands out compliments like they're smiles, and he's always tripping over things.

If you're wondering why I'm listening to music instead of joining in on the conversation, then allow me to explain. They were currently conversing about older modeling shots and how some of the angles would come into play today. I figured that I would find out when I was there anyway, so I just popped my headphones in.

Ollie turned in his seat to look at me. His mouth began to move, and I hastily ripped my headphones out.

"I'm sorry, what?"

"We were just saying that we're stopping at a convenience store to gas up. Do you want anything?" He repeated.

"No, I'm good," I answered as the car wobbled into the gas station. Moments later, Ollie and Elle hopped out and were putting gas into the vehicle. I looked down at my thighs, and as immature and as cliché as it is to describe someone as 'flawless,' I can't really find a better adjective to describe him. Things like this don't happen to girls like me. Since when does the biggest loser ever get with the heartthrob? Apart from romance novels where they live happily ever after. I mean, Carter and I's relationship is a friendship or a short romance at best.

Out of curiosity, I poked my stomach. It jiggled in response. Nothing like a trigger, is there? Then again, this isn't your average romance story where the boy sweeps you off your feet. We just flirt. If this were a fictional story, real feelings would develop. My problems would've disappeared. I never expected my problem with food just to go away, but I never expected it to be this difficult either. Besides, Carter was only spending time with me until he found someone better, which should be anytime. I'm not hard to replace. I shut my eyes tightly. As always, my thoughts were eating me alive.

Warm fingers twisted around mine, pulling them away from my thigh. My concentration was still on my weight. Did I really gain that much? Plump lips were unhurriedly pressed to my hand, which immediately shook me from my thoughts. I gazed down at Carter in shock.

"You're worth more than a number, Astrid." His raspy voice spoke. His sleepy tone filled the entire vehicle. Things like this don't happen to girls like me.

"Do you want to sleep?" He questioned.

"I'm not tired," I answered. The corners of his lips tugged downward.

"You're a comfortable pillow." He stated.

"You can sleep if you want," I told him.

"I'm cold." He whined.

"You can take my sweater." I offered. He rapidly shook his head.

"I want you, not your sweater." He commented. My cheeks flushed at his words, and I was quite thankful that he didn't notice; however, I had a feeling he already knew.

"Carter, we aren't going to fit on the backseat together," I argued. However, he didn't seem to take no for an answer. He made quick work of taking off my seat belt and tugging my body on top of his. My head rested on his chest, the steady beat of his heart offering as some sort of music to my ears. My entire being tensed. Sure, Carter and I embrace quite often. I just usually don't lay on top of him for long car rides.