Chapter 10

"When a friendship is perfect, don't try and ruin it with a relationship."

Astrid's P.O.V

I guess I was cutting it close or, maybe I've just changed. I used to get here half an hour before the bell would even ring now. As soon as I step in, I hear that familiar bell that tells the students that it is time to go to your lockers to prepare yourself for the first period. Curiosity got to me again; I glanced over to my friend group. Aiden was a no-show once again. I guess I shouldn't care since we aren't really on speaking terms right now but, I couldn't help but wonder if he was okay. Was it a horrible sickness or something else? I'll ask later... I guess... I quickly made my way up the stairs, through the crowd, and to my locker. My slender fingers made quick work of the combination. I swung my locker open. I was reaching on top for one of the textbooks and attempting not to knock over everything else that was piled on top.               

I felt strong slender arms snake around my waist. The person began to shake me lightly. At first, I was about to laugh and tell Aiden to stop, but I knew it couldn't be Aiden. So, it had to be some creepy weirdo or Carter. I think it's probably the latter. He rested his head on my right shoulder and brought his lips to my ear.

"Don't stop dancing; you danced amazing in the rain." He whispered.

"Carter, get to class. You'll be late." I warned.

"Who cares? It's just school." He replied.

"Just school." I mimicked, just as I had in the forest on Sunday. I could feel him smile into my shoulder as he remembered me copying what he said. The bell sounded, signaling that I was late once again. How do they expect us to beat the morning rush, get our books, and get to class within five minutes? It has grown to be quite a tiresome and challenging task. I remember when you were a freshman, how you would get to class within practically one minute. Oh, how things have changed.

-------- Skip to the fifth period ----------

"Harlow. I need to ask you something." I stated. She did nothing, didn't respond. She just slowly lifted her head, peering into my eyes. I could tell she was listening, even if she refused to speak.

"I know you aren't happy with me, but what is with Aiden? He's not here..." I asked.

"You didn't know?" She questioned.

"No, we aren't necessarily on speaking terms," I mentioned.

"Well, he switched schools. He's no longer going to Riverdale. He decided to switch to Watercrest. You know the school fifteen minutes away?" She answered.

"That's the school Sam goes to," I whispered. When I realized what had happened, I don't even know how to describe the feeling in the pit of my stomach. My entire being just, sort of... fell. He was supposed to be there for me forever. Well, I should've known that forever was just a lie but, we were best friends! For crying out loud, is it so much to ask for only one person to stay in my life? I'm tired of people walking in and waltzing out whenever. I need someone to stay.

"How very observant of you." Harlow continued.

"Harlow, you don't understand-" I started but, I was quickly cut off.

"Yes, I easily understand, Astrid. You're selfish and immature. You pushed him away. Just because someone shows you affection, it doesn't mean you have the right to push them away. To top it off, you were with that new guy every day! You have no idea how much you hurt Aiden." With every single word, Har said it hurt me so much more. I never meant to push Aiden away or even hurt him. I don't also see how I did that. He's the one who walked away from me. What was I supposed to say? "No, Aiden, you can't go talk to Sam?"