Chapter 29

"Goodbye is just hello in disguise, but hello is just a goodbye that is waiting to happen."

Astrid's P.O.V

"No, Astrid, don't do that," Carter Daniels spoke while shaking his head, his bedraggled dark hair mimicking the sharp movements of his head.

"Do what?" I wondered while looking up at him and wondering how many more times than I'd be lucky enough to get lost in those captivating, and ensnaring azure hues.

"Just do me a favor," he began, "and don't cry."

"No promises," I replied while I attempted to drag the corners of my lips upward. My weak smile faltered, but the humorous intent was still conveyed.

"There's no reason to cry," he protested, "and I don't necessarily know if I can deal with your tears."

No reason to cry?

"Carter, you're leaving!" I whined while my eyes burned and brimmed with tears.

"I'll be back," he explained quickly in hopes of stopping my watery eyes, "we're seventeen, we're almost adults, and when I turn eighteen I'll come back for you."

I shook my head while suppressing the tears, "No, Carter, you'll forget about me."

"Never," he breathed.

"Carter, you'll meet new, and better people, you'll-"

"Astrid, don't," Carter spoke, cutting me off, "I'll never forget you, and I promise that I'll come back for you."

I gave him a perplexed glance. I'm just starting to recognize my worth as an individual, but even I know that I'm not that special or unique. I'm just another person, another face that one day Carter Daniels, a boy who impacted my life and is etched into my memory, will forget. It pains me to think about the day that he'll struggle to remember my name.

"Astrid, you've made a life-changing impact on me, I'll never forget you," Carter continued to explain.

For the second time that day, I shot him a confused glance. I know how I made an impact on him, but I still can't help but predict that I'll be another tacky memory.

"I'll never forget you, because," he began, but he stopped speaking mid-sentence, "...I'm too scared to say it," he whispered while shooting me one of his impeccable smiles and lifting his left hand to show me his quivering fingers, which only left me utterly puzzled for the third time today.

My right hand rose upwards, were without a second thought I met his hand and tangled my fingers with his. Relaxation spread through me and alleviated that horrid sensation of not being able to see him again. He gave my hand a gentle squeeze, along with another heart-stopping smile.

"Tell me," I breathed. Those two words had come stumbling out of my mouth before I had the chance to contain my curiosity. Part of me wished that I didn't tend to burst out with random things and ruin the moment, but I knew that this was the better option, since at least I would never have to wonder what he would've said, this way I'll know, and I'm happy that my awkward tendency proved useful in some cases.

This seemed like a perfect, heart-wrenching scene in a movie. Carter Daniels, as stunning as he is, slumped his shoulders and brought his irresistible lips to my ears, as if to whisper one last message, "Astrid Linnea, I've fallen in love with you. I'll never forget you, and I'll be back for you, I promise. In the meantime, don't worry about not seeing me. It might feel like an eternity, but I'll make sure that it won't even be a year before we'll be locked in an endless embrace once more."

He dragged his lips from my ears, floating along my cheek in the process towards mine. However, I never got to share that last kiss with Carter because it was interrupted.