Million Dollar Baby (Chapter 14)

Start from the beginning

I chuckled at them. I was so going to have a hard time separating them when it was time for Jaimie to go. Noelle got put in her high chair and we all sat down to eat. Dinner was silent other than the occasional noise Noelle made. It wasn't an awkward silence, it was comfortable.

I think we were all just lost in our thoughts, especially me. When it was over and time for them to leave, just as I'd guessed, Noelle's face scrunched up like she was about to cry.

"Aw, don't cry," Jaimie cooed at her. "We'll be back tomorrow, I promise." Jaimie then looked at me, a  slightly challenging, look in her eyes that dared me to correct her. I had kept her away from Noelle for 2 years and now she was determined to catch up on lost time. I nodded to her, letting her know it was alright.

That stopped Noelle tears and she smiled a little at the prospect of seeing Jaimie again. I hugged Jaimie and Todd goodbye, and then decided to get Noelle into the bath since it was already 7:30.

***

I walked into the college the day- I went to the local community college- and sat in my usual seat somewhere in the middle. It was then that Todd walked in the room. He stopped when he saw me, almost like he was shocked which was odd because we saw each other almost everyday.

For a moment he looked like he wanted to say something to me but decided against it. The little bit of hope that had rose inside of me died again. For almost 3 years I was hoping that Todd and I could rekindle our friendship. He was almost like a brother to me and it hurt when I lost my best friend.

And I still don't know why he stopped talking to me. I had a feeling that it had something to do with Jourden but I can't be sure. It was around the time that she left though.

My eyes followed him curiously as he took his seat. I could see a change in him. He looked a little happier than he usually does. Before I could ponder it any further, Chloe came in and sat next to me. I don't even know why she's here. She does no work, and just messes with me the whole time and it's seriously annoying.

"So you no we have to go check in with you dad when we leave, right?" She whispered in my ear. I tensed up at the mention of my dad. I hated my dad. He was a mean bastard that left my mom for another woman when she was pregnant with me.

Although my mom says I shouldn't hate him because he's still my dad and he was always there for the things that counted most, I still couldn't help that little bit of resentment I felt for him. He never deserved my mom anyway.

"Yeah," I snapped. "I know."

"Come on. It won't be that bad. We'll just do what he asks and than leave. You should be used to this by now." Chloe admonished.

"Well, I'm not. So drop it." I gritted out. I really did not want to think about my father and whatever he was going to ask for this time.

An hour later, when class was over Chloe and I were on my way to see my dad. I was stiff the whole time I drove. Chloe rubbed my arm soothingly, but it just wasn't working for me.

"Relax," she whispered when we arrived at the house big enough to be a mansion. I pulled up to the gates and pressed the button.

"Whaddya want?" A heavily accented voice whipped out of the speakers.

"It's me, Georgie. Let me in." The gate buzzed and I drove around the circular driveway and stopped at the huge glass doors.

"Let's get this over with." I grunted to Chloe once I was out of the door and walking up the steps. I stormed through the hallway on my way to my father's office on the third floor. I banged on the door and then pushed it open without waiting for an answer, Chloe right on my heels.

"Dad," I nodded and then nodded to the five other guys lounging around the rooms. I took in the man with the all black suit who leaned against the wall with his arms crossed in front of him. His suit jacket gaped open revealing his black hand gun.

"Son," my dad stood and clapped me on the back. "Chloe, how ya doin', sweetheart?" He then asked her in his accented voice and smiled, his dimples standing out. My dad was half Italian/ half Colombian but grew up in Italy. He met my mother when she was there on a trip with friends and followed her back to the states.

"I'm good, Mr.Ricci," she smiled and all the while she had this excited gleam in her eye. I was disgusted.

"Good, good," he clapped his hands and sat back down behind his desk. "Let's get down to business."