8: Money Bags

^^ Bete Loga ^^

--- Xavier ---

I followed the Wolf through the crowded streets of the Market, sticking close to make sure that I didn't get lost, because he wasn't slowing down for me.

We entered the Tower, and took an elevator up to the 6th story, stepping out into a building that smelled like metal.

"Don't touch anything." Bete said to the side, and entered the first room he saw.

I followed, and hummed in appreciation at the selection of swords and bladed weapons.

Bete conversed with a dwarf behind the counter, and then nodded to me. "Find a weapon, Brat Dorian."

I hummed and looked around, finding the spear rack. I picked up a simple one with no extra embellishments, and spun it easily on my knuckles, keeping an eye on the balance. I nodded, looking at Bete. "Good balance."

He looked at the Dwarf. "2,500 Val."

The dwarf grunted. "4,000."

"2,500." Bete narrowed his eyes. "That weapon was built by an amateur."

The dwarf grumbled. "Fine."

Bete nodded and looked back at me. "A Sword, as well... and grab those clawed gauntlets."

I nodded and looked at the swords. I picked up a thick one-handed sword, and hefted it, finding it too heavy, so I set it down. Another, slimmer blade was my next target, and I swung it experimentally. It moved easily, like a reed in my hand, whistling gently.

I hummed softly, and looked at Bete. "Feels good, but would it last against monsters? I've never fought them, so I don't know how tough they are."

He eyed it, and nodded. "Solid core. It'll hold, for now."

I nodded and sheathed it, placing it on the small of my back, then pulled on the gauntlets. "Hmm... claws?"

He nodded again. "You said you liked cats. And claws are more useful than you'd think." He flexed his own, and then turned to the Dwarf. "7,500 for the lot." He said simply, leaning into the man's space.

The man paled, and then nodded. "Ahem... then that'll be 10,000 Val, Mr. Loga."

Bete put ten thick silver coins on the counter, and then nodded to me. "Let's go."

I gathered my new Spear, sword, and gauntlets, and followed him quickly.

He entered a different room, and looked around at the armors. "We have 20,000 to get you some armor that won't get you killed. I'm sure you're a speed-fighter, so heavy armor is out. Leather Armor, then."

"Where's your armor?" I asked.

"I stopped wearing it after I reached Lvl 3. I'm LVl 5 now, and it's even less necessary." He shrugged.

I nodded, and looked around. "Okay... leather, huh? Why not Kevlar, or Microfiber?" His blank look and raised eyebrow answered my question easily. "Never mind. I'll see about making myself some later... let's just see what's here for cheap. I see some pretty scary prices."

He snorted, and led me to the back of the store, where smaller stands stood, with armor that was much less advanced, and cheaper.

I hummed, and found a set of leathers that stuck next to the skin, and were laced with a red and blue fibrous material.

"Hmm... Salamander and Undine Fabric. Good find. It's not much, but it'll be a good match for the upper floors." He mumbled.

I nodded and picked it up, just as a small woman I vaguely recognized came towards us. "Have you made a choice, Customer?" She asked simply.