2: Guts and Magic

^^ Sadie ^^

--- Xavier ---

The search came back with the same coordinates, again and again, so I decided to go to the Source. The Gym. Maybe there was a beacon, or a transmitter there that was accepting and re-routing the data stream.

---

Though I found a stash of M&M's in Johnny's office, there was no diabolical tech that would work as any sort of receiver or transmitter.

"What are you doing up there?" Johnny suddenly asked, turning the lights on.

I looked down from the rafters. "Uhm... you see, there a Pirate Signal stealing poetry, remember? Well, it's based here, according to all my tests, and I'm trying to find a Transmitter or... anything, really. And I thought you were allergic to chocolate?"

He chuckled. "I'm not allergic to chocolate, I just don't eat it often. The M&M's are for the pre-K class I teach on Sunday's."

I nodded. "Ah. Right. Well... care to help me down? I didn't realize where I was until you spoke, so..."

He laughed. "You're stuck, huh? Your cat seems to be just fine."

Dotty washed a paw slowly, glaring at me.

"Well then. I didn't even remember bringing her. Shame on me, huh?" I smiled.

She batted my nose, and then climbed down the shelves on the walls, narrowly avoiding knocking over our trophies.

I sighed and followed, gingerly stepping on the support posts, and was soon on the ground, with Dotty lounging across my shoulders like a queen.

---

I locked the doors to the Warehouse as Dotty sat on my shoulder primly, despite her age.

She batted my earring, amusing herself, and I chuckled, walking towards Johnny's car. "So, we're still on for Saturday, yeah?" I checked with him, leaning down to look through his passenger window.

The car was empty, making me pause. "Engine's running... smell of Urine?"

Dotty puffed up, hissing, and I leapt forward over the car, just as a giant bug of some kind slammed into the door where I'd been, mandibles ripping the steel like paper.

I landed on the hood, and pet Dotty. "Don't worry, lovely, he won't get us. We're safe-ooh god I forgot ants could climb anything!" I leapt off the roof as the giant ant, (easily the size of a full-grown German Sheppard,) skittered onto the roof without pausing.

Instead of touching ground, I slipped on mud, which was odd. Johnny's voice startled me as well, as he groaned nearby.

I stepped towards the sound, only to be shocked by the change in setting. The parking lot was gone, and replaced by a dirt tunnel, which smelled of the worst things imaginable.

I tucked Dotty into my jacket, and she slowly calmed down, apparently assured whatever that giant ant was, it was gone.

I looked around, and in the dim light I saw Johnny, nursing his stomach. I knelt next to him slowly, and moved his hand so I could see.

"Don't think about telling me it isn't that bad, partner." He grinned a bloody, heartfelt grin.

I hummed. "Nooo... looks pret~ty damn bad, partner... I'm not a doctor, but... that's a serious ouch you got there."

He chuckled softly. "Ouch, huh? Good, make that my obituary. 'Drunken moron dies of an ouch.' You won't believe the amount of drunkards at my funeral, man."