Do you?

Have a fake marriage.

“Hey cheater, give it to me,” Maple squealed.

“Let me drive you unruly creature,” Jason pushed her away. “Hey, I have a deal. I want to surprise you so let’s keep this a secret.”

“That is not how people make deals Jay. Give me something to be satisfied upon.”

“You let me keep the wish and I’ll satisfy you all you want in any sort of uh . . . sandy terrain you desire.”

Her eyes widened with frustration at him and the stupid smirk didn’t help his case. How could he still be making fun of the whole thing like all that was nothing but a joke? Was she being paranoid by keeping those feelings real when clearly it was mirth for him?

“Maple,” he cupped her face. “I was just joking sweetie. How about you let me keep this a secret and the next one you will get to.”

She hadn’t realized that the wetness on her face were actually tears. Peeking sideways, she could see him tightly gripping the steering wheel while trying to maintain a straight face. Darn, as time flew past Maple was becoming more of an emotional wreck than either could take.

“Fair enough,” she gave him a watery smile. “Wasn’t there a thing that fell off from the scrap of paper?”

“No,” Jason said more quickly than the situation demanded. “Nothing fell off; it must have been your imagination.” He had just formulated an amazing plan in his mind.

She looked at him suspiciously but let it go.

***

“Why am I dressed like this, Jay? Why are we going out for dinner?”

“Maps, you ask too many questions babe. Relax and enjoy life while you can. What’s the magic in knowing the future when you can stay clueless and enjoy the unexpected?” Jay whispered.

It took ounce of strength to refrain his hands from stroking her bareback. She looked stunning in an orange-yellow frock. He had triumphed in making her wear something appropriate for what was about to happen or she would have never forgiven him if it hadn’t been perfect.

Though he tried to keep their parents to play cool, all of them had gone crazy hearing the wish. It was as if their life-long aim was finally going to be fulfilled. It had been a while since he’d actually seen them happy; they all had been suffering since that . . . well unwanted news. It was tough for them to let the probable time left with their kid also slip by but love conquered those feelings. Apparently watching Maple ecstatic was what all of them whole-heartedly agreed upon.

The mothers had gone all shrilly and feminine. Illeana had even got Maple’s secret wedding diary out. According to Maple none were aware that she had a whole perfect wedding planned with every minute detail forged down into a leather bound book but the joke was on her. Everyone already knew too well. The fathers got down to the finance management. Even though Jason constantly reminded them it was fake, none cared to take his words sensibly. He was worried they would go overboard and freak out poor Maple. Well, he couldn’t do anything about it. He played his part by giving them the venue.

“Looks like someone has been reading spiritual books,” Maple chuckled.

He glanced at her. How pale she looked or was it the dim lights in the hotel? The smell of fear never suited Jason well but he couldn’t help worry about her health. Past few days she’d been quite sick and the flight back had taken away whatever strength she had. It had taken a full week for her to recover. His sigh was full of desperation. The girl was probably fretting her head over him. What was he to do? Sometimes people cared so much that mere comfort was rendered useless. It was this very nature of humans that led them to do things they never wanted to in the first place. Example Maple pretending to be alright when she wasn’t, when everyday he could see fear of death looming in her eyes.