She's a daredevil

‘Ride a motorcycle.’

Jason at first couldn’t believe what was written so he read it again and again. When his brain finally processed the three words he started guffawing. Maple looked at him befuddled. What was funny about riding a motorcycle?

“You? You the book rapper will ride a motorcycle? Do you even know what a motorcycle is? Maple seriously girl you got an amazing sense of humour. Really? Motor . . . Ow! If you are going to destroy that how will I make Sophie pregnant? Ow! Ow! OK! I’m shutting up.”

She folded her arms and looked away from him fuming. She’d read a book titled ‘Don’t ask any old bloke for directions’ which was a real story of a man P.G. Tenzing, who had a whimsical journey around India on a motorcycle. The whole fun and insanity of it was quiet contagious. At night sometimes she would roll her pillow and sit on it, pretending it was a motorcycle. She’d open her arms wide dreaming as if she’s on the back of the bike with her hair flying, eyes closed and wind hitting hard on the face.

She heard Jason sigh. Maple sighed too. Why couldn’t she ever control that temper of hers? Poor Jason was just joking but she had to throw a tantrum.

“Sorry,” she mumbled.

He rubbed her arms comfortingly and kissed the side of her cheek. Then with eyebrows drawn together in concentration, he walked away whistling. She went back to her place to read on Wattpad. That site had made her life complete. It gratified her hunger to read something assorted. When once she’d been telling Jason about the website he’d actually fallen asleep showing exactly how much it mattered to him.

--------------------------------------------

“Sweet mother of all motorcycles! What a baby you got dude!”

There gleaming in the bright sunlight stood a black ‘Harley Davidson’ looking sleek and tempting to Maple. Her hands twitched to feel those emotions she’d delved in her dreams at countless nights. She let her fingers trace the length of the bike and looked at Jason with excitement gleaming in her eyes, only to find a frowning Jason.

“Whoa there girlie this baby is a babe only for guys. Stop calling it your baby. That’s just weird on a whole new level. Some might even call you sick!”

“Shut up!” Maple scowled.

They both stood staring at the bike until Jason trudged forward and taking hold of Maple’s hand pulled her along closer. He let go of her hand and mounted the bike. Holding the handles he pretended to ride like a stud and then running a hand through his hair while blowing a kiss to imaginary fans he slid backwards clearing the space for Maple. He started gazing at his nails waiting for her to mount the bike but no one approached. He glanced sideways with curiousity. She was standing there with a terrified expression on her visage.

“What’s wrong? Don’t expect to look cool like me?”

She looked at him fighting with anger and fear.

“I don’t think I can ride this. What if I cause an accident and we die? What if some other people die along with us? What if a cute little puppy dies? Oh my god! Let’s go Jay. I was being silly like always. Let's be good citizens of America and stop causing deaths which are already trending high . . .”

“Maple you don’t have to be nervous.”

“I’m not”

“That’s why you’re blabbering? Listen baby I’m there. Jason will save America from your destruction. Remember when we got those bicycles without supports on Christmas?”