Chapter 17 - The Inevitable

((Okay, so you guys know that I usually always write some super long intro with every chapter explaining what's going on. This time however, all I'm going to say is that some very severe and extremely stressful things have been happening over the course of the last few months. These things are rather personal, and have kept me from a lot of the things that I love. Still, I owe it to both you as well as myself to see this story through, and made it my New Year's resolution to do so. 

Having said that, I'll now go into the music, which you also know how I often reiterate is an integral part of each chapter and always not only set the mood, but also sometimes gives an insight into the thoughts, feelings and mindsets of different characters. I believe this song, just as many others, does just that. I hope you all enjoy it and feel the same. 

Artist: Stephen

Title of the song: Remembering Myself

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15ry8nvYLdQ#start=0:00;end=3:31;cycles=-1;autoreplay=true

So! Without further ado, here is the much anticipated chapter, and as always, I truly hope you all enjoy. I love you all more than words can say. <3 Also, if you enjoy the story/chapter, please feel free to comment. It's always nice to know if I'm doing something right for a change. ^^))

"There is no pain so great....

                 .....as the memory of joy in present grief." -Aeschylus

Sans stepped from the raft, turning to extend a hand toward Strife in an attempt to help her. She took it, raising a brow and smirking at him. "Since when did you become such a gentleman?" she stated with a glint of humor laced in her words. Sans laughed lightly. "Since I remembered that I used to be one." From the corner of his eye, he caught the nod coming from the Ferryman, who'd always been a mysterious figure to begin with. Did he know more than he was letting on? 

"Sans.." came Strife's voice with a snap of her fingers in front of his face, dragging him out of his thoughts. The Ferryman gave a wave to the two. "Twas a pleasure, but I really must be going." he started, but Sans hurriedly cut him off. "Before ya go, you wouldn't happen'ta know where she went when she came ashore, do you?" The cowled figure nodded again. "I did give the fair maiden enough gold to allow her food and drink along her journey. Last I knew, she was heading toward Bob's World for water." When Sans turned to look, he saw the dilapidated building that was Bob's World and smirked. If the competition between Tem and his brother wasn't so extreme, they might actually be fun to hang with together. 

"Farewell, young Sans, and to you as well fair Strife. May you find what you seek whilst thou art here. Should you find yourself in need of my services once more, thou should know where to find me."

With that, the boat floated off, and Strife muttered under her breath.. "I'd really like'ta know what's under that cowl, y'know? Nobody's ever seen his face." Her words were quiet enough to ensure the Ferryman didn't hear her, but Sans had a feeling he would anyway. That guy always knew far more than he let on, in any given situation. But they couldn't dwell on that now. Without a care for Strife's movements, Sans started towards Bob's World, sighing in defeat when he noticed the door closed and a sign hanging upon it stating that he'd closed up shop for the night. A crack of lightning flashed overhead, and Sans caught Strife staring at the Grounders as they worked. "Have you ever wondered why they don't talk to nobody but each other?" she asked, taking a few steps toward them. "In the past? Yeah. Now isn't the time for that though." he started, walking once again in the opposite direction before Strife hurriedly turned to follow. "Maybe if we go over to Dusty's, he'll know somethin' about Frisk. Maybe even a direction to follow so we can find her before somethin' bad happens." he finally said.