8: Spirit Lights

8: Spirit Lights

A/N: I would like to dedicate this chapter to the amazing ShounenHeart for making me a surprise cover for this story! It was very kind of her! And, for readers who are interested in stories that are based off of legends and stuff, you should totes check out ShounenHeart’s story “Book Of Heroes” it’s only a few postings deep but I can tell it’s gonna be a good read! J

That being said, I would also like to take the time to thank my readers, listers, voters, and followers. As I type this I currently have 66 votes on this story! Thank you all so much for your support! I will do my best to update when I can and organize things more cohesively. Thank to suggestions I have now flipped and snipped a handful of things in the beginning. The intro will be the timeframe for the last half of this story. Everything else is linear minus a few of the sight visions and any back stories that might be included. I am thinking about making this book a 2 or 3 part series under the main title The Kingdom & It’s Realms, not sure yet. Time will tell.

Also, small warning for this chapter. There will be hints of abuse, if that offends you, sorry its not too in detail but it is there, this chapter is rated PG13 for a reason. :p

But now without further ado, I bring you chapter 8!

8: Spirit Lights

[August 2011]

I walked around the now dark park lit only by the occasional dim street light.  Across my shoulders my gym bag rested at my side. I had finished my training for the night early that evening and the guys chose to stay after with Caderyn longer while I sought the solitude of the setting sun that had now long since melted away into stars. My hair was still wet from showering the sweet away from my workout. Even though it was chilly outside my wet hair didn’t bother me at the moment.

A few things ebbed at my insides as I walked around aimlessly, something I was now just allowed to do again since I had been grounded for 2 months after my Mother had blown up about me not answering my cell phone or texting her to let her know where I was going. Well oops, we had to save Volota.  But, now that I was off my short leash I could better think about the past few months.

Volota was living in the councils realm and learning to speak our current language, the rate at which she was retaining information made the Elders question if the magic that was blocking her memories had also somehow locked away all of the other languages she had known apart from the ancient tongue of flight elves.

To further complicate things, Volota had discovered that the veils  she had that held the essences of Cael and Folium had been damaged, so she no longer was their guardian and they were no longer protected.

The thing that through me for a loop the most was the natural acceptance of Jaysen, Joey, Brayden, and Hayley. But another part of myself, still overwhelming but dwindling, was the desire to remain closed off from people because no one ever stays. Eventually they leave and you are left alone, so why bother even trying to become attached in the first place? As much as I loved and trusted Arwyn, there was always going to be a part of myself that would be waiting to say “I told you so” if she were ever to decide she didn’t want me like my parents and my foster parents all had done. But almost 17 years of building walls on top of these anxieties and fears did not make the initial weariness disappear, it was always there.

Before I could allow myself to revisit the memories I had long since locked away I derailed the memory train and realized I had been absentmindedly rubbing the scars on my arms and wrists that I had inflicted before I had known Arwyn.  Luckily I had long since mastered using Maraki in hiding the scares from the world.

Forcing my mind to focus onto something else I looked to the sky and was able to start to see the dim outlines of the Spirit Lights that were the only aspect of my birthday I enjoyed. Every year the spirits of those past but not yet reborn are able to move freely through realms on Halloween.  Sometimes if you listened hard enough and got close enough to the tiny flickering orbs of light you could even hear the faint whispers they spoke to each other. When I had been younger and had not known what they were or why no one else could see them I had first hid from them.  But after Arwyn and learning that only magic blooded individuals who were receptive to the strength of the magic in their own blood could see them, then they no longer were scary.