3: Steeling Souls

Chapter 3: Steeling Souls

Kiylee’s POV

-August 2011-

I made it to the high school before 7:30am. Despite my pervious attempts at schooling here I had no recollection of where anything was and needed the time before the first bell to figure out where my classes and locker were. Luckily, there was hardly anyone in the halls. First period didn’t start till 8:15, and the smaller number of students present were mostly tucked away in the optional period zero.

As I rounded a corner I stumbled upon a group that occupied the hall.  In the middle, holding herself close to the blue metal lockers, stood a lanky auburn girl being dwarfed compared to the boys circling her. Either it was the way she held herself, completely lacking confidence, or her awkward pencil legs the rest of her body hadn’t grown into yet but redhead didn’t look old enough to be in high school.

The next thing that caught my attention was the 4 guys around her, looking like giants compared to her tiny self.  The thickest one of the group stepped forward towards Red. “Come on cuttie, we just wanna take you out on a date, give us your number.”

All 4 of them laughed. Then the shortest one of the group (but still half a foot taller then me) lunged forward and snagged Red’s backpack from her. “I wonder what’s in here. Stuffed animals and a blankie?” He spoke as he emptied the contents onto the tile floor.

I had enough. I did not tolerate this shit. Forget following rules about not getting kicked out of school.

I marched over and put myself between Red and Shorty and snatched her backpack from his hands. “Do assholes like you act this way because they have such low self-esteem the only way to make yourselves feel better is to put other people down? Or are you overcompensating by being dicks because you have none.” I tossed Red’s camouflage backpack behind me so it landed at her feet.  Despite my short height I held myself tall, square and glared up at the Shorty Asshole.

The group of boys looked at me with shock strewn across their faces. Shorty Asshole was well over a head in height taller than me and was glancing back and forth between his group, trying to dissect the situation and plan a next move.  But instead of figuring out what to do he just looked more baffled and frustrated.

It was another member of the group that spoke up first. I snapped my head to my right, this immature idiot with brown hair in a buzz cut and brown eyes was standing between Shorty and the big one of the group. I deemed this one shithead in my own mind.

“And what place does a little hottie have heer unless she wants to take part in the games.” Shithead spoke.

I narrowed my eyes at shithead. “You,” I pointed at him. “All of you.” I glared at the other 3. “Have about 30 sections to fucking apologize and grow a flipp’en pair of manners before I kick you so hard down there that my boot will come out your esophagus. I am not going to play your stupid games, and nor are you going to subject anyone else to your stupidity as well. Do. You. Understand.”

Shorty laughed. “You’re cute when you’re angry.”

Without even thinking my fist curled into a ball and I started to swing towards his face.

“Kiylee Summer Rain Alphonze.” A voice spoke from outside the circle.

My hand froze.

I looked up to see one of my skill trainers standing at the edge of my vision. He was dressed in a casual suit with his green tie loose around his neck.

Although the Council’s forest amulet was tucked away neatly within my sundress I could still feel it pulse as the man approached. In the back of my mind I saw the pearly white orb turn green.