5: Tick

A/N: Would like to thank everyone who has read/voted/and commented this story so far. You guys are awesome!

Sorry for the late update. 14 Credit hours this semester plus working 48 hours a week. I will try to be better with updating :)

Chapter 5: Tick

Kiylee’s POV

Nervously I tried to find some way of distracting myself from my current awkward and cramped situation. I had spent the first half and the last half of the car ride staring at the clock on my cell phone to try to escape the feelings rising up inside myself. Currently I had no conscious idea of where we were going but something inside my stomach turned and twisted as if to tell me we were close, not that I needed to question the seeker that the Council called in to help solve the mess we were all in.

Ever since I fainted and spazed out earlier that afternoon and came to the revelation that wolfboy was somehow connected to me in some unavoidable and unnerving way my anxiety and comfort level had been a little more than slightly off kilter.  And having a vision about someone going to be killed and waking up to find an etched necklace in my hand that hadn’t been present before the vision really didn’t do much for keeping everything peachy.

After Caderyn had seen the necklace and the little color he had drained from his face everything started moving very quickly. He had recognized the necklace as having the crest of a long lost elvish bloodline thought ended more than 600 years ago.  Which posed a lot of questions and problems. And right now there was more potential problems then questions.

Apparently my vision had something to do with an ancient ritual from the Book of the Black. While both the Book of the White and the Book of the Black were said to have been both needed to mold the world we now live in, both had good magic and both had bad magic associated with them. Some spells and rituals were even lost over time from the books and this one was unfortunately one the elders knew nothing about, except for ancient stories told from each generation down-which in turn made a lot of the Council very nervous.

So now here I sat, uncomfortably squished in between wolfboy-Jaysen and fellow hunter Joey (and by fellow I mean someone I really didn’t know or care to know especially with the given lack of spacing between us). Joey was a very muscular and stout hunter with short light brown hair and medium hazel eyes and he was taking up way too much space so I was even more uncomfortably squished next to wolfboy. At my feet sat my beat up drab green duffle bag of important goodies every hunter needed that I jacked out of the trunk of my car before leaving the school parking lot.  Joey had a similar bag at his feet as well. In the front seat of the car Caderyn drove and next to him holding the elvish crest was Brayden a young Seeker of the council using his skills to try to locate the person from my vision before it was too late.  Brayden had red messy hair that choppily hung to his shoulders, he was a few inches taller than wolfboy and leaner.  Seekers usually weren’t built to be fighters, their skills and magic protected them more than a sword.  

“We’re close,” Brayden spoke again in his lazefare Brittish accented voice that managed to hide most of his tenseness. “Close, close, take the next rout that puts us east, we will have to move by foot soon.” Brayden continued to move the necklace in his hand.

A turn and a few minutes later Brayden held up his hand and told Caderyn to stop. With gratitude I filled out behind Jaysen because he moved faster than Joey and I was in some major need of leg space. Dropping my duffle bag to the ground I knelled down to dig out my leather wrist protectors and my short blade katana along with a few more knives.  Under my breath I cursed Arwyn again for the forced choice of clothing, hunters didn’t dress to look pretty, they were supposed to dress practically to be prepared for any situation.

Joey was looking over towards me with a cocked eyebrow when I looked up from my bag.

“What?” I sarcastically glared at him.

“Interesting choice in clothing there darling, luckily if you break a nail and need saving I’ll be there.” Joey retorted with a half smirk on his face.

Before I could angrily answer back Jaysen walked between us moving towards the edge of the forest. “Somehow I don’t think that will be a problem.” Jaysen tilted his head slightly in Joeys direction as he spoke but continued walking. When he reached the first tree he turned back towards us, though strangely I felt like he was directing his words more towards myself, “We better move fast, the sun will set soon.”

Brayden was already in the lead with the necklace stretched out before him by the time I caught up to wolfboy.

Grazing my fingers over the first piece of bark I could, a lightheaded feeling started to overtake me again, I made it a few more steps in before the ground started to move away from me again, I swayed but arms caught me before I made it close to touching the ground.

My name was being said but it felt so very far away.

I was standing between the trees, the world seemed strangely devoid of color, looking around me I saw a few feet from where I stood my own body cold and colorless. Holding me was wolfboy on one knee. The picture was frozen in time. Brayden and Caderyn stuck in half turns looking behind them responding to the stilled commotion. It was so unusual and new to me. We were all statues, yet here I was divided in two oneself frozen and the other not.

But I wasn’t meant to stay here looking at statues, a wind caught my hair and blew it into my face and I brushed it away. All of a sudden it was like I was moving without moving my feet. The forest changed, it moved trees changed, paths emerged and disappeared, a fallen free was before me, then beneath me, and then behind me. Then I found the blood and soon a frozen stilled girl trapped with her legs outstretched like she'd be running if time continued again. Even though this strange world was devoid of color I knew that she was the same frightened, wispy, blond from my vision before, however faintly glowing just above where her collarbones came together was a green outline of the symbol of the necklace. A circle with strange wing like attachments on each side. Her clothes I also noticed did not at all look like they belonged in this time period, she matched the councils cloak like wardrobe.

“Gifted, you are young seer.” A dark and cold voice spoke behind me.

Turning myself around with a jump I witnessed a black mass moving with the fluidity of water, shimmering and pulsating with shadows. Within the bodily mass were two glowing red ovals I assumed to be its eyes.

Before I could open my mouth it spoke again. “If you’re planning on asking who and why, don’t waste your breath. It will be so much more fun to see if they can figure it out after all of these years.”

With that the black mass zoomed towards me and disappeared back into nothingness.

“Tick, tock Seer.” The voice faintly said from around me with no exact origin.

I closed my eyes and opened them to see the sky and forest green eyes boring into mine.

My head felt like it had been smashed in by a blunt object and my body felt tired and weak. But my heart was beating faster than it had ever before and I started to struggle to move myself to get up. Panting I rose to my feet with help from Jaysen, any other moment would have resulted in a snide comment from my dismay. “I know where she is.” My voice squeaked.

“Seer gone seeker. How does that happen?” Brayden curiously spoke.

“I didn’t know, I saw.” I pointed towards my forehead.

“Your Meraki is weak, you can hardly stand.”  Caderyn looked at me with concern.

I reached for the nearest tree and steadied myself from its trunk, taking a moment to absorb its aura.

“It doesn’t matter.” I looked right at my fair skinned teacher. “We don’t have the time to worry about that now.” And with that I started to run in the direction my vision had taken me, doing my best to ignore the pain in my head and the weakness in my limbs.

We were running out of time and I knew I had to keep up. As my feet carried me across the forest floor I could hear the rhythmic beat of my heart in my ears reminding me of the ticking of a clock.