7: The Legend of the Book of Beginnings

Kiylee’s POV

The old council member Castel took us through the corridor of a dimly torchlight lit hall and filed us into a courtyard with 7 statues about 15 feet tall apiece and arranged in a circle around a gently trickling fountain.  The courtyard was illuminated by the moon, the stars and beautiful iridescent orbs of light scattered throughout the plants. Each statue was holding a large orb in its hands that glowed a different color.

Castel pointed towards a slim figure with her hood down, the eyes were etched out of the stone in a way that made me feel like the statue was watching me. Her hair was long, strands hung out over the cloak and strands disappeared under the cloaks collar. Hanging horizontally on her back at hip height was a sword sheath. In one of her hands was an orb of white light with a huge of pink.  In the other hand was a short blade sword with a slight curve. It was pointing down and away from the women in a defensive manner. The hilt of the sword rested against the orb of light. “Solia high priestess of light.” Castel announced. Solia’s body was slightly turned and her orbed hand outstretched towards the statue to her right.

Castel stepped counter clockwise and moved to the statue next to Solia, a carved man with a wolf circling his feet. The man was also wearing a cloak with the hood down, the cloak was sleeveless and intricate swirl designs were placed about his exposed lean muscled arms. In one of his hands was a pale yellow orb. The other hand was placed on the stone wolf’s head. “Cael, chosen warrior of wind.” As Castel spoke I could now see that Cael was turned so he was also slightly facing Solia. His orb of light stretched out towards hers.

Continuing in the circle Castel moved in front of a figure with a green orb in its hands. This figure was carved with their feet rooted in the ground like a tree. Atop the cloak was a carved wooden bow hanging so the wooden part was on his back and the string part rested on his chest. He had two pouches for arrows, one on his back underneath the bow and one hanging from his hip. His long straight hair disappeared beneath his cloak and his ears were slightly pointy. “Folium of the forest.”

The next statue was carved as if they were rising out of a wave. In his hand was a sea blue orb with a hug of green. The figure could easily be mistaken for a female because of his lean and whimsical limbs and soft angled face. He had long wavy hair that fell to his shoulders and reminded me of a water nymph. “Altum warrior chosen by water.”

Next to Altum was a stocky man with a hammer in one hand and an orange orb in the other. The sleeves of his cloak were also cut off and you could see the girth of his muscular strength. The statue figure reminded me of a bear. “Tonitrus of thunder and lightning.”

Then there was a figure with his hands raised and body twisted in such a way it was like he was trying to protect himself from something above. The bottom half of his body was engulfed in an frozen stone flame. His cloak hood was drawn as if to protect his face. Resting in one hand almost as if it was about to fall from his grasp was a red orb, the other hand was completely outstretched towards the sky. “Ignis of fire.”

Lastly he came to another female figure standing next to Solia she had a similar stance but her hood was raised up over her head concealing the top half of her face. He exposed lips looked sad and were carved into a straight pursed line.  Clutched carefully within one hand and resting against a staff in the other was a dark purple orb of light that matched the night sky above us. “Noxa, high priestess of dark.”

“Now we are ready to begin our story.” Castel began as he raised his index and middle finger to each of our foreheads and the world around us brightened and the statues before us seemed to become lifelike.