Chapter 7: Pack Your Bags

Stella's POV:

When I woke up the next morning I could feel Annabelle's body cuddled up against mine, so I smiled and decided I would go back to sleep. That is, until an obnoxious someone cleared their throat loudly and called my name.

"Stella, wake up!"

I could feel his cold hand shaking my shoulder, so I grunted and mumbled, "Go away."

When he didn't stop, I opened my eyes to face Jace, who was looking down at me, frowning.

"What is it?" I said coldly.

"What is it?" He replied, frustrated, "Do you have any memory of what happened yesterday?"

I shrugged, "Yes. I know, Dorian's back. Now will you please let me rest?"

He growled loudly, an action which had no effect on me since he did it so often, "Are you listening to yourself!"

When I didn't answer he added, "Get up and get dressed because father is here here and he doesn't like to be kept waiting."

I noticed he had let his British accent slip through for a second, and gave him a warning glare. He knew I didn't like to be reminded of our previous life. Plus I felt groggy, cranky and just plain strange after what happened with Dorian and... Her.

I can't even think of her name, I thought, how am I going to face her?

When Jace's words finally registered, my reply was, "Oh. He's here? I'll be in his office in a few minutes."

I knew my relaxed demeanor had pissed him off even more. Ever since what happened with that human... or vampire as she was now,  he had lost faith in me. He thought I wasn't fit to be the heir of the vampire throne. I could see it in his mind all the time, but I never said anything because I knew he was right.

I sighed, got dressed as fast as I could, and scribbled a note for Annabelle which I left on the bedside table.
Then I took a deep breath and prepared myself for the worst. As heir of the Trueblood throne, the damage of Dorian's return would reflect upon me even more than it already had.
Not only was he back, but he'd brought her with him... my Natalie. The human girl I had fallen in love with about thirty years ago, and the person I had spent those thirty years mourning for.
She had made me believe she was dead. She had made me cold, cruel and indifferent back when I thought she'd been killed by rogue vampires who were against the monarchy, but it turned out that she was alive and well, and she was a vampire now, a force to be reckoned with.

As I speeded down the corridors of the manor, Annabelle's face came to mind, it was apparently becoming a habit.
I thought of how I'd told her I loved her the day before knowing Natalie was back, knowing the reason I was attracted to Annabelle in the first place was because she reminded me of her. But things had changed since then.
She was different.
Annabelle and Natalie were two completely different people in my head, and I was sure I loved Annie, or at least I had been sure when I said it the day before. There was no telling what feelings would resurface when I was with Natalie again. All I knew was that Dorian would definitely make me see her, just to try and make me suffer. Pain was the only thing that satiated his twisted desires.

Jace grunted, "Are you done thinking about your possible lovers? Because I think you should, at least for a second, take things seriously and think about the effect that Dorian and his buddies will have on our nation. If they bring us down, there will be no more humans for you to fall in love with, Stella! Without a good leader, they'll kill them all!"

I sighed, "I know. I'm sorry... I just can't help it."

"That is your weakness talking. Learn to put your people before yourself and your little flings and you'll do fine."