Chapter 14: Cold cold fire, warm warm love

Here's a treat for you guys, thanks to DaniellaRuiz for the idea.

Anna's POV

There was a long, disturbing silence after what happened in the game room. OJ was lying on the ground, motionless, and everybody was staring at me with wide eyes. Even the ever-so-smartass Jace was speechless.

The silence was broken by my own sharp intake of breath. My hands covered my mouth and I started shaking my head. I would close my eyes and open them again to see if it would go away but it was all too real.

My eyes were staring to water, "Did... Did I kill her?"

Jace quickly regained his composure and cocked his head to the side like a dog would move its ear to listen to a faraway noise.

"No, she's just unconscious," he said, "I can hear her heartbeat."

I let out a shaky sigh, "Good. That-- That's good."

"Vampires have a heartbeat?" said Angie.

Jenny nudged her and shot her a glance that read 'shut up'. Angie seemed to realize the situation was serious so she mouthed 'oh' and started rocking back and forth uncomfortably.

"Yeah, we do. At least when we're well fed." Replied Jace with a small smile.

I thought it was weird of him not to be a complete asshole, but I pushed the thought aside when he gave me a stern look and said, "Annabelle, you need to come with me."

Stella's POV

I tried to concentrate on my investigation, but it was hard not to listen to the commotion in Annabelle's wing. After I heard Jace's scream, a loud thud, gasps, and then complete silence, I couldnt't sit still. I needed to check on her.

I got there in less than a second, the door was open, and it seemed like everyone in the castle had come to see what was going on. When the crowd saw me they parted like the red sea. Inside were Annie, Jenny, Jace, and Angie. There was also OJ, but she was passed out on the floor. Annabelle's eyes were crystalline like she had been about to cry, and Jace was speechless, I didn't like that. Nothing about this seemed good. I was about to ask what happened, but Annie saw me and her eyes started glowing again.

"Stella," her voice cracked as if she were trying not to cry, "I didn't mean to."

I kept my face expressionless.

"What happened?" my voice may have come out a little colder than I wanted it to.

She started hyperventilating, "I-- I don't know, I just..."

Suddenly her hands were glowing as well as her eyes, a bright and beautiful shade of blue, and something started forming in them. A ball of energy, no, a flame.

She whimpered, "What's happening to me?!"

When her eyes met mine they were sad, confused, and most of all scared. That broke me.

I slowly walked over to her, "Shh, it's okay. Calm down, it's okay."

When I was in front of her, my face inches away from her, I cupped her cheeks and looked into her eyes, "Focus, Annie. You can control this. Look at me babe. You can do this."

She started crying then, her tears brushing against my hands, "I can't. I don't know how. Help me."

I looked down and let my hands travel down her arms, to cup her hands in mine.

The fire was painful, but surprisingly cold. When I held her hands the ball of flames started getting smaller.

"You can do it, see?" I said softly.