Chapter 5: Pain, Illusions, and Remembrance

A/N

"Some people say the eyes are the windows to the soul. So instead of asking a person how they feel, make eye contact. One look can tell a life story."

-me

Yeah i totally just made a quote up.

This chapter has a lot of inner monologues... which is my way of saying the characters think a lot cause i'm trying to sound smart and all, so there will be really long paragraphs, but important secrets are revealed, so pay attention. Please comment and tell me what you think, guys! :)

___________

Stella's POV.

After Annabelle said she wanted to stay with Jace I was so angry I might have compelled her to think I hated her.

Okay fine, I did, but I felt bad about it instantly. That might have been too harsh on her.

All I wanted was to hide my pain from her. I couldn't do the same to Jace because his mind was blocked, but his mind was usually blocked around me so I didn't focus on that.
I focused on not letting Annabelle know how much her words had hurt me, I wanted her to see hatred where there had just been anger and pain. Anger because I had gotten so good at being cold hearted, then she came out of nowhere and made me feel hurt about something that was insignificant.

So what if she wanted to spend the night with my brother? She was probably just attracted to me because of how alluring us vampires are to humans, it's in our nature.
We are the predators, they are the prey, and that is how we lure them in for the kill. I had always been okay with that, and I should have known that was the reason she was attracted to me. I suppose I was surprised at the fact that I wanted it so badly to be something else. It actually hurt to know she only felt attracted to me because I was a vampire and she was human.

Maybe I should've read her mind instead, but I didn't want to read her mind. I was afraid I wouldn't like what I would find there. She was making me weak. I shouldn't have cared, but I did.
Maybe she was more attracted to Jace, maybe I did go too far when we were in the pool together, or I scared her when I growled at my brother, and she saw the monster I was.
With deadly fangs and irises dark as night, sometimes I even scare myself.

None of those things should have mattered to me, but they did. I was hurt because of what she said, and I wanted to get away, so I ended up at the beach somehow.

Being near the ocean had always calmed me. I usually ended up in the same place when I felt insecure. There was just something about nature that made me feel at ease, as if I wasn't Stella Trueblood anymore, I didn't have any problems, I was invisible, and only nature could see me.
The ocean was my favorite part of nature because it was connected to everything on Earth, and somehow when I was in in it, I was also connected to the world, and it accepted me without asking.

I could feel the wet sand beneath my feet as I walked near the shore so I decided to take a swim, since I still had my swimsuit on. The only thing I liked about being a vampire was that breathing was not necessary, so I could hold my breath underwater for long periods of time. Deep breaths still calmed me, but we could go days without breathing, maybe even more. I had never tried to test it because breathing gave me the same relief it gave humans. I'd only hold my breath when I came here, and I loved it because I can go snorkeling without the snorkel or the goggles since my eyes are more perceptive than the human eye. I can see perfectly underwater.

I lost track of time as I kept swimming, following different schools of fish. There were all kinds of fish down there, with different bright colors and patterns. Watching them was so peaceful. I could easily lose track of time, but I only noticed I had been swimming for a long time when I saw an anchor.
At first I thought I must have been swimming for so long I was near another island, because there were never any boats near ours. Human boats were teleported to the other side of an invisible wall that served as a portal. It was put there to keep humans from finding us, because those that knew about us were usually hunters. Vampires had to ask permission to come in and out of the island, so I would've known if there were any coming that day.