Chapter 16: The Solution

"Annabelle, are you okay? What happened?" Dylan's voice was full of worry. He was holding a long, machete-shaped sword made of upyr quartz, ready to attack, and I wouldn't have dared to go anywhere near him if I didn't know how sweet the healer/warrior was.

He hadn't even seemed to notice I was completely naked, but I still felt the heat radiate on my face and down my neck, and my arms quickly covered my privates.

Dylan suddenly looked uncomfortable, and he turned his back to me, apologizing like a true gentleman. I was about to say it wasn't his fault, but Stella's feral snarl cut me off. Her icy blue eyes were soft when they glanced at me, but hard when she turned her gaze back to Dylan. She must have still been on edge. I suddenly felt guilty for being so jealous of Natalie that I hadn't noticed Stella suffering too.

"You respond to me, guard!" she said crossly, "Bring us some fresh clothes and call a meeting with every faculty member, including human ones."

"Yes, your majesty," Dylan didn't hesitate to do as he was told. Four of the guards stayed behind for protection, flanking us with their backs turned to us. I wondered if they were all gallant like Dylan. The rest left darting after the blonde healer, probably to help him carry out his orders.

I turned to Stella, "You didn't have to be so hard on him, he's a good guy," I said in a soft whisper even though I knew it was no use because the guards were vampires. I was sure they'd heard me but none of them seemed interested in our conversation. They were probably just being respectful.

A growl wanted to escape Stella's throat, I could tell she was holding it back for my sake, but her eyebrows were furrowed angrily, and her voice was still cold when she spoke, "What, are you two buddies now? He knows not to get friendly with the humans."

I didn't like the way she said humans as if we were inferior, but then I remembered, "I'm not human," I said defensively.

She let out a cynical chuckle, "He doesn't know that."

I snapped, "He saw me when he drove me over to rescue you, remember that?!" I felt bad for letting anger control me, but she was being unreasonable.

I felt worse when her eyes got crystalline with tears. She snarled at me, but I knew she was just putting up a front so I wouldn't realize she was upset.

I guess being a princess, you can't show anyone your vulnerabilities, I thought, knowing she could hear me, but you must know by now I would never hurt you.

A single tear betrayed her, and she darted out of the room without even glancing at me. Stella must have been so used to locking her feelings away that now that I had broken down her walls, her feelings were overwhelming her. I wanted so badly to run after her, but I was naked, and the castle was so big it would probably have probably taken me hours to find her. She could have been miles away by then.

Dylan entered the game room with a bundle of neatly folded clothes in his arms. He instantly looked confused, "Where did her majesty go?" he asked me.

"I don't know."

He made a clicking noise with his tongue, and walked over to me to hand me my clothes. I could tell he was trying his best to look away, but small glances would betray him. This would have amused me if I hadn't been so worried about Ella.

He handed me a sundress and turned his back to me so I could change, "Are you okay, Annie? What happened?"

"Natalie. She got in. I don't know how," I said as I slipped the dress on, I didn't bother to tell him he forgot to bring me a bra because he looked so stressed, "Where do you think Stella went?"