Chapter 13: Firelighter

Stella's POV

It was around three in the morning. We had arrived at the Verasanguis Palace by catamaran at around eight o'clock, and I had been reading musty old books since then.

I sighed and cracked another book open. I had shut myself in the library to research Annabelle's strange power. Never had I ever experienced a siren manifest its abilities before being turned. That is, except one.

Natalie.

She had been able to block my mind reading ability since before she was turned. Which meant she, even if just subtly, was exhibiting her power of blocking abilities since I had met her when she was human.

I didn't know how that was possible, but I was going to find out.

Trueblood royalty, and even guards, usually kept diaries to keep track of what was happening around the world and on our island in the Bermuda Trangle. After a few more hours, at the break of dawn, I finally found something that would give me a clue to what I was facing.

I found it in a diary entry from the renaissance period. This diary belonged to Tessa Trueblood, whose name I borrowed in America, and it had old drawings of what I regonized as Florence, Italy. It was also written in fluent italian, since Trueblood princes and princesses are well versed in at least twelve languages.

1407 A.D.,

Dear William,

I will be brief. Father is making me leave Florence at the end of my trimester at the University of Florence because of the Occhi Luminosi (bright eyes), or how they're coming to be called here by the humans, the Chiaro Sguardo, or bright glanced ones. As for me, although most books have been burned, and the bright eyes are being exterminated by my father's guards against my pleading, covered up by the so called inqusition, I know what they're really called.

They are not homo sapiens, and they are not upyr sapiens (vampires). They are flamma prudens, meaning wise flames. Why they used another word for wise other than sapiens I do not understand... Prudens, wise and prudent. The reason why doesn't matter anymore though. Either way they will all be dead by the end of this year, and all written information on them shall be erased. Vampires will also make sure no human ever remembers the Chiaro Sguardo.

So William... please, run and hide. As far from europe as possible. As far from my kind. Please.

My beloved Chiaro Sguardo.

My Firelighter.

The page was half torn out, I pressed my hand to it and closed my eyes. When I did I saw young Tessa tearing out the page to put it in an envelope and send it to this so called William, but she was grabbed from behind before she could even finish tearing out the page. I opened my eyes and took a deep breath.

Firelighter.

The word lingered in my brain like Annabelle's scent does when she's gone, but I was drawing a blank.

Anna's POV

I woke up in Stella's bed at the palace. I must have fallen asleep during the boat ride since I was exhausted due to whatever the hell happened to me during that fight.

Was I possesed?

By Elektra?

I chuckled at my own lame joke. Then I yawned. Somehow I felt as if I hadn't gotten any sleep at all even though I knew I must have slept at least nine hours.

Stella had freaked out after she saw my eyes shine like Natalie's. In her own way, I mean. She seemed perfectly composed on the surface, but she disappeared. Locked herself away somewhere in this huge place. What was she doing?