24

Kailen makes her way in. 

Almost immediately, all conversations are cut short, as eyes are now all staring at her, sometimes with despise, sometimes with relief. The young goalkeeper walks past some of her older teammates, only to find a seat in between Christen and Haley. Once she's done that, she looks at the girl facing the others - Jess Fishlock. The keeper frowns : neither Rampone, Lloyd or Morgan are here, which means they're either up to something, or just dealing with things in order to stop the investigation going on right now. 

To be honest, Kailen doesn't even feel that uncomfortable at the moment : yes, she tried to kill herself, and she knows some people here are going to judge her for that. But now that she has Megan, and that she is now sure she will never try this again, she kind of became more confident in herself. Nevertheless, she is terrified by what people might say. 

As Jess is talking privately to Melissa, Haley turns on Kailen, a serious face on. Her voice is low when she says : 

"I'm going to keep you safe, but you have to promise me you won't try anything stupid before talking to me first, okay ?" 

Kailen nods. 

"Thanks" she whispers, afraid that some other girl could hear them.

Right after Haley nods, Lauren Barnes, one of the new defenders - obviously Shelina's replacement - who used to be benched all the time due to an injury, turns around and cracks a smile. 

"Glad you're okay, Kai" she says in a friendly voice. 

The young goalkeeper frowns : she doesn't know who she can trust other than Melissa and Haley, but something tells her some people aren't that bad here, even though half of the team are more focused on destroying UCLA than actually playing soccer. Kailen nods, before staring at her hands. Lauren then turns around, as Jess approaches her.

Haley looks at her, before saying : 

"Where are the others ?" the keeper asks, raising her eyebrows. 

Things on the team have changed. 

First of all, Ashlyn's arrival means that Kop is not the starting keeper, again. Also, Hope, Carli, Christie, Ali and Alex are in some sort of vendetta against the Bruins, trying to find a way to bring them down. The rest of the girls here don't necessarily approve, but such as Yael, Marta or the two rookies (Andi and Jessie), some girls don't really want to fight against their own team and are just sticking around and playing soccer. 

Jess shakes her head : 

"Probably having a secret meeting to sort things out" the middy answers, rolling her eyes. Then, she just smiles. "But it leaves us time to come up with a plan to protect Kailen and Shel, because I feel like they're coming at them too."

Kop nods. 

"Of course they are" she lets out, bitter. "They're kind of 'divergent', and we all know they don't like that.

From the corner of her eye, Kailen can see Christen nod, as Sam and Melissa are sitting down in front of them. 

"There is one point when they won't be able to kick people out of the team anymore, right ?" Sam asks, raising her eyebrows. "I mean, I understand they are angry at UCLA, but, like, if we all don't want to fight their own fight anymore, what can they do ?"