Chapter 36 - Getaway

In panting fits, we made it to the car as the bullets shot from the guns flew past our heads. The car wasn't too far away, but it seemed to take forever to get to its doors. The Chrysler was parked under a canopy, providing the sparkling black painted metal with shade from the blazing sun.

The keys were jammed into the ignition and the loud engine raved to life. At my side David didn't even bother with the seatbelt, but I on the other hand locked it and held my hand down so it wouldn't miraculously come loose.

It's like Deja Vu, being in this car running for what was basically my life. It was strange this time because, I was doing it with the person I would have never expected to be with, David.

It was hard to be in the same house as him, let alone room, but now we are in a single car with limited space, running from the people draped in black, the unknown faces and names; the ones who have tortured others, the one and only Shadow Men.

David hasn't said anything, but I wouldn't expect him to due to the current state of situation. Right now, our biggest priority was getting out of here, not talking as if we're having tea.

Which is exactly what we are doing right now, David pulls out of the parking space hastily and jams his foot harshly on top of the gas petal. The tires screeched and no doubt, they made tire marks on the smooth and flawless pavement outside.

The vehicle launched forward, jostling me in my seat and forcefully pulled me against the strong rope fabric of the belt. The highway that left the company, was empty, just like it always is. The road to NanoTech, I learned, is private, no one can get in or out without scanning in an ID card.

The scenery outside whizzed by in a flash, leaving my irises with a huge blob of nothing but green. Green trees, grass, and new sprouts coming from the fresh soil from the winter. We are heading down the toll road now, the road is completely vacant.

Different decaying leaves bustled in the wind and skidded against pure black asphalt. My heart is beating at an uncontrollable speed, I could see it beat harder when I peered down at my chest, my heartbeat was visible.

David took in uneven breaths, inhaling and exhaling, trying to regain the steady pattern again and calm down, but wasn't successful. He's jumpy and anxious, his eyes were full of suspense. The road seemed to continue for miles on end, but the thought vanished when we came flying down the road with a certain liveliness.

David frantically rolled the window down and held his pass out for the worker to scan, all in the same time as pushing me back into the leather seats with his hand outstretched in front of me.

The worker must have seen me, for she asked, "who do you have in the car?" Her voice was serious, and hard, it carried no emotion with it as her words were spoken clearly into the air.

"No one of your concern. Now, open the gate." David demands.

"Sorry, sir, for I can't do that... Walker has me on strict orders not to let any individual without a pass in or out. He also stated that both passengers have an ID with them to exit off the prem-"

"Shut up and open up the dang gate!" David roars, I saw visible shock flash through the woman's eyes.

"Im sorry, I c-"

"I don't care what my brother told you, I'm the boss, so open up the gate, now!"

The worker takes a step back, her facial expression changing from nothing to confused, then back to nothing as she typed in a passcode into the keypad. The ten foot metal gate that was keeping us and everyone one the facility opened.