Chapter 15 - "Just Like That"

YAY CHAPTER 15!! Okay, sorry, back to reading!

    Goal: 35 reads & 25 votes

   Jay's POV

     We sat there, while I made Keith's shirt soaking wet with my own sweat and tears. Each one that fell off my face signified a new letter and a new form of pain. I can't stand it anymore. Sometimes I can't even get through reading all of them before screaming for it to stop.

   But I know it's not going to. It's never going to.

   At this point, I just wish that the Shadow Men caught me in that forest, or at the gas station, or at Brett's house, or anywhere else they seemed to pop up.

    I'm sick and tired of receiving hate mail everywhere I go, mobile and verbal. The thing is, is that these people always assume things. They don't even know my story. Do you know the saying 'don't judge a book by a cover'? Well, that's exactly what these people are doing to me: judging me based on fake information and manipulated thoughts about everything that happened last year.

   I curl up into Keith's side a little more, the warmth was radiating right off of is body, and it gave me comfort when I felt more and more doubtful about myself as a human. These notes and hate comments have gotten to me, they have made me believe in things that are wrong. But my mind takes control over when I try to convince myself that I'm not this person who is a lunatic and insane. My mind always forces me to believe in things that aren't true, that aren't honest.

   But I can't do anything about it but to let it consume me whole. Every time I try to fight back, it always causes me more pain, unbearable pain. I'm always in the center of attention, playing as the pray as the lions circle around me, waiting to snap me.

   I was brought out of my thoughts when Keith kissed the side of my head. He was rubbing reassuring circles on my back and shoulders, although I couldn't really feel his touch. Which was weird, because minutes ago, I was able to feel his warmth, but now I'm getting nothing. Nothing but the coldness from the vent that I sat under.

   Nothing but the cold and dirty floor I was seated on, nothing but the pain I always felt. I couldn't even feel the good things at this moment, I couldn't even pinpoint where Keith would try to comfort me, it was like he wasn't even there, like at all . Like he somehow miraculously disappeared and turned to smoke in front of my face. Fading away every second that passed, disappearing further into the depths of the empty and closed off hallway of this school full of nothing but hate. For me.

I let out a silent sigh and let go of all the air that I was holding back in my lungs and bronchi. I loosen my grip on his stained red/white shirt and sit up, my core hurt because of all the crying and my throat burned. The crying I did caused a searing pain to spread through my body, just like that.

"C-can we g-go h-home?" I breathe out. I even struggled to get out four simple words.

"I-I can't b-be h-here any-anymore." I stuttered.

"Yeah, we can go." Keith said calmly and sweetly. A pained expression took over his face as he stood up, but when he glanced at me, his eyes softened and filled with sympathy.

I took his hand in mine and led us out of the cold, dark hallway. Keith held my hand tightly and intertwined our fingers. He traced circles on the back of it and our feet were stepping in sink with one another.

We walked at the same pace: slow and steady.

My feet were killing me, I've already fallen twice tonight because of them. Hopefully I don't sprain my ankle again, because the healing process of that was painful.

We make our way towards the front doors of the school. Will and his Burnett friends were all there standing with him, like the were waiting for something, like they were waiting for us.

"Are you guys alright?" Will questioned.

I gulped down my tears and nodded. Keith stopped in front of them and I followed suit.

"Yeah, we're gonna go back home. Do you mind if I take your car?" Keith asked.

"Yeah, not a problem." Will said, while digging in his pockets and searching for his keys to his BMW. "Here." he says while tossing the set of keys that dangled from a circle clasp to Keith.

"Thank you." I say. But then a thought comes into mind. "Wait, how will you get home?"

He points to either Owen or Thomas. The only other two who had a car.

I nod and look down to the floor.

"And Thomas offered for me to stay at his house tonight, so I'm gonna do that. So you guys can have some alone time." Will adds with a small and sympathetic smile. Thomas nodded and smiled as well.

"Okay, thank you Will. We will see you later tomorrow." Keith says before we both walk out of the building, I instantly felt the chills run up my bare legs from the bitter mid January coldness.

I wish I brought a jacket.

We tread to Will's car that he lended us and Keith unlocked it, the headlights lit up as he did. He made his way over to my door and opened it for me.

"Thank you." I say quietly.

"You're welcome."

He paraded back toward the drivers door and plopped inside, placing the key in and the engine roared to life. He backed out, looking over his shoulder to make sure that it's clear to back out the whole way. When no other car come by, thats when Keith reverses the rest of the way and places the gear in drive.

He drives out of the twisted parking lot of the school and down the road of Wildcat Reserve,where we walked a few hours ago. I checked the time and saw it read nine thirty and the dance would end in an hour; at ten thirty.

The car ride was silent. The only sounds were my heavy breathing and sniffling.

We pulled into the apartment complex parking lot and Keith parked the car, the engine falling silent when the key was retreated.

"I'm sorry for tonight." Keith suddenly says.

"D-don't be. It wasn't your fault that Bennett is stupid and never knows when to quit."

Keith just weakly smiles and takes my hand in his and he plays with my fingers.

"Still, I'm sorry for ruining the night for you."

"You didn't, you did the exact opposite of that." I say, and I lean over the center console and place a kiss on his lips. It was a passionate one because I wanted to show how much I appreciated him and how he was willing to stand up for me, just like that.

Just like that.

_____

Yay, chapter 15!! So exciting!! I hope that you have enjoyed this chapter and are liking this book so far! Because... there's gonna be like sixty more chapters to go soooo.... get the popcorn ready!🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿

😂😂😂😂

HAPPY READING!

~AlexisJadeS22

✌️✌️✌️✌️✌️