Chapter Ten: Transfer to Suna

I woke up and my heart raced as I didn’t recognized my surroundings… This seemed to be happening to me a lot… My mind worked hard to remind me that I was safe and with Gaara. I could still feel the warmth from his body. How long had I been asleep? Was Naruto okay? I sat spine automatically going into time to stretch mode. I felt my muscles whine as they moved themselves seemingly to their own accord. When I was done I looked over at Gaara rubbing my eyes to try and wake myself more. 

“Is Naruto okay?” I asked making Gaara nod his head and stand silently. I fallowed him to Naruto’s room where Naruto sat with Sakura. I mentally frowned upon seeing Sakura I did find out in my time in Konoha that they were indeed teammates. Every ninja had a squad when they were genins… well all genins but me… I had no squad. 

“Tora! Gaara!” Naruto exclaimed as we walked threw the door. I jogged to Naruto’s side and hugged him gently.

“I’m so sorry I didn’t get to you in time!” I said voice cracking as a lump lodged itself in my throat. I was so close to saving him… now to see him like this? His head was bandaged along with his left eye. One of his legs was in a cast long with his neck, left shoulder and part of his rib cage… In short looked bad. His one good eye looked down at me and a soft smile crossed his lips.

“I’m sorry for not getting to you in time too, Tora….” I shook my head at Naruto he was always thinking of other people.

“It’s my entire fault for being so stupid and letting my guard down.” I trailed off as I was about to mention Sasuke but I wasn’t sure how the two would react to their former squad mates name. 

“No it’s not your fault…” Naruto trailed off and Gaara put a hand on my shoulder making me sit straight from my leaned position over Naruto.

“Come with me I need to talk to you.” Gaara said making me nod slightly. 

“I’ll come back later to visit.” I told Naruto who shook his head no.

“I’ll be heading back to Konoha to report to lady Tsunade. Just call me later and I’ll meet up with you.” I nodded at him and said goodbye to both him and Sakura. I fallowed Gaara down the hall and again noticed the looks he got. We approached a door that said Kazekage on the front and strongly resembled the doors that lead to lady Tusnade’s office back in Konoha. 

“So am I going to meet your Kage?” I asked aloud seeing Gaara glance at me from the corner of his eyes.

“You’ve met him already Kokoro.” He said as he opened the door to reveal a dark empty room. Gaara crossed the large room to the neatly arranged desk that was in the center.

“What do you mean?” I asked him not fully understanding it until he smiled at me.

“Kokoro I am the Kazekage.” He said calmly motioning for me to sit down in one of two empty seats across the desk from him. I sat down and dropped my hands into my lap. What could he want to talk about? I watched him close his eyes and my heart started to quicken its pace. Was he going to ask me to leave? Scold me for getting captured and almost getting myself killed?

“Kokoro I want you to request Lady Tsunade for permission to transfer over to the Suna headquarters.” I stared at him not knowing what to say. His sea green eyes stared at me with an indifferent gaze. I couldn’t help but smile at him thinking about how at one point he feared that he would hurt me and didn’t want me around. Now he was asking me to transfer to Suna so I could be closer to him.

“What changed your mind all the sudden?” I asked crossing my arms over my chest.

“You’re a target and from what I’ve seen from Konoha you are not safe. I was going to make you my personal student and teach you in my spare time here in Suna.” I nodded but then realized I’d have to find another place to stay I wasn’t about to travel this far everyday from Naruto’s house which now wasn‘t safe to stay at anyways.