Chapter 16

Woohoo!!! I got another chapter up :) Thanks to everyone who has been reading, commenting, and messaging me about this story. It's a great source of motivation to keep writing and I wouldn't be able to do it without you guys. I'm going on break from school in about a week so hopefully I'll be able to get possibly more than one chapter up between now and the end of the break. Keep the comments coming and, I won't make any promises, but I might try to give you three more chapters in the coming two weeks. Hope you guys like it!

Enjoy :D

********************************************************

The ride from the school was not a pleasant one. We were lucky enough to keep Paul under control enough to not shift once the words left Jacob's mouth. To be honest, I'm not sure how he gained the control. Paul loves passionately and hates passionately as the others have told me and when it comes to me, his imprint, I could only imagine it would intensify.

I could feel the tension in Paul's form as my arms linked around his waist, pressing my body against his back as he sped down the road. He had wanted to take off into the woods from the school parking lot and have one of the other guys drive me to Sam's house but I wasn't hearing any of that. I guess you could say that Paul and I had our stubbornness in common. This...thing had been at my house. It personally affected me and I wasn't going to just sit around and let the boys handle it as much as Paul begged me. That probably added to the tension, whether he was mad at me or the fact that I was going to be around the possible threat.

The others had shifted once back in the cover of the trees and were going to meet us at my house. When we pulled up, most of the pack guys were outside the house waiting for us. I should be happy that my dad was gone for a few days or the fact that half-naked guys were standing in our front yard. I didn't even want to imagine how I would try to explain that one.

Paul cut the engine and put the kickstand down. Quickly he helped me off the bike and, not before exchanging a look with me, he walked up to the others. I saw his eyes cut around the area and his nose scrunch up just the slightest bit.

"The whole place smells of that leech," he said through clenched teeth as he came to a stop in front of Sam. I took a hesitant sniff and didn't notice any unpleasant odor. Must be a wolf thing, high sense of smell or something like that. I made a mental note to ask Paul about it later.

"As far as we can tell, he came from the direction of Forks and was cutting through our land when he doubled back to the house. If the scent says anything, he's been gone for a little over an hour," Sam replied in an authoritative tone. Even if I didn't know he was the leader of the group, how he spoke and how the others regarded him would have signaled me.

"So why double back? He obviously wasn't intending on coming here but something must have made him switch his direction and risk being confronted by one of us. Why risk it?" Paul asked frustrated. I looked up at my house and decided to check to see if anything was taken. Why and what would a vampire need to steal? I have no idea. I doubt a vampire would break into a house to steal something but you could never be too sure. But when I went to walk around Paul to get to the front door, his hand shot out and gently grabbed my arm.

"Where are you going?" Paul questioned. I know that he was worried because we weren't sure what exactly was going on with this new vampire and I was a little anxious about him being at my house but we couldn't stand outside the whole time.

"I'm going to put my bag up and make sure everything is ok inside," I said nonchalantly.

"Well, let one of the guys go with you," he said looking over at the group of the guys but I held a hand up to stop them from moving.