Chapter 21

After I told the detectives all I know, Casey and I drove back to the house.

Casey and mom hugged talking a mile a minute. This is probably the first time in a year our whole family will be together.

I hand Casey his typical mug of coffee. His brown eyes meet my brown eyes and wraps his arm around me.

"Remember that one time at the creek during summer camp?" He asks.

"Yeah. And you pushed me in and I got soaked." I playfully punch him in my arm.

"That was funny."

"No it wasn't! That outfit didn't dry out until the end of the week!" We both laugh.
"I miss those days." He looks down in his cup of coffee with cream.

"I don't want to go back to Oregon. It's so far away from the Midwest. And it's always rainy."

"Then why don't you move back?"

"I can't just quit my job. And there probably aren't any openings for a forensic here."

"That's true."

Mom sits down in the love seat, "how are you feeling, Olivia?"

"I'm okay." She smiles and dad walks through the door.

We say hi and mom kisses him on the cheek.

"Good news, we found some members of Salvation by Dead Mercy. They're being brought in for questioning right now."

"So you have to go to work?" I ask.

"No, I requested to be off work for the rest of the week." I smile. Maybe we could all be a family for a little bit.

"Why don't we go out for dinner?" Mom suggests. We all agree and I let Casey choose, which of course is the best wing place in our town. I hug dad as I'm the last one out of the house.
"I love you." He says.

"I know. I do too." He kisses the top of my head and we hop in the car.