Chapter 12

I knock on Casey's door, now Jake's room. No answer. Maybe Jake went out.

The creaks of the floor boards and the familiar scent of frebreeze trying to cover up sweat and uncleaned laundry remind me of Casey. I haven't seen him since he moved to Portland a few months ago.

Jake's suitcase lays neatly on Casey's bed.
I unzip the bag and go through the suit case. Dress shirts neatly folded, dress pants neatly folded, tshirt's, shorts, socks rolled in a balls, and basic toiletries. I feel the sides. Nothing. The pockets filled with basic travel items. Like a basic, everyday traveler. Who is this guy? I unzip a bigger pocket, shoes, food, and a prescription bottle.

How do you clear your medical records and still manage to have a prescription? Pain killers? Why would he need a prescription pain killer? It's prescribed to him too! I lift his shoes and find a hand gun. The door opens and I slam the suitcase shut. Jake stumbles into the room.

"Jake!" I help him into the room and he falls on top of me onto the ground. "Jake get up!"

I climb out from underneath him. His breath smells terrible. I pull him up and somehow get him on Casey's bed. Jake mumbles something unintelligible.

"Have you been drinking?"  His head moves somewhat like a nod.

"Jake, stay here."

Lt. Young and dad cannot see him like this or I'll never know who he is.

How do I take care of someone drunk?

I take some crackers from the pantry and a water bottle then run back upstairs to hear a thump. I open the door and find Jake on the ground.

I help him back up on the bed and sit him up.

"Beautiful." He slurs out.

"Excuse me?" He looks at me.

"Beautiful."

"Me?" He repeats beautiful again. "Uh, okay. You need rest." He stumbles out of bed. I push him back down with little effort. Gosh he is so drunk if all I have to do is push one finger and he falls over. The bed moves as he falls hits the mattress.

"Shh!" He tells me.

I giggle for an unknown reason. He rolls off the bed again and shoves his face in trash can. And then he's puking. I hold my nose. This room doesn't need to smell even worse. I take a bottle of cologne on Casey's dresser and spray the room.

"Jake, are you okay?" I help him lean against the closet door.

"Sebastian! Ah! Sebastian!" He falls over.

"Jake!" Then an idea comes to mind. God please forgive me! "What about Sebastian?"
Jake snaps his head, drunkly towards me.

"Boss. Oh my wonderful boss. Oh how stupid."

"Sebastian is your boss, but you have a Dead Mercy tattoo."

"Boss, Jackson. Rival."

"So you work for Dead Mercy and Salvation. Why are you protecting me?" I furrow my eyebrows.

"Beautiful. God is beautiful." His eyes begin to close.  I slap his cheeks lightly.

"Nooooo! Mom! Let me sleep!"

"I'm not your mom. Why are you protecting me?"

"You don't deserve this."

"Why?" I almost yell in frustration.

He shakes his head like a little kid. "No. Me sleepy!"

I laugh at his slurred little kid voice. He pukes again, barely making it to the trash can.

"Okay, you can go to sleep. Just one more question. What is going to happen?"

He makes a finger gun and waves the hand until the index finger hits me in the head and makes a shooting sound. My eyes grow wide.

"To pay. Your daddy must payie! Me want bed!" I help him up and pull the covers where he falls down and mumbles something that sounds like a lullaby. 

I can't help it but I say in a baby's voice, "yes, go to sleep."

I close Casey's door and run to my room.

"Guys! Guys!" I yell-whisper. "SM is going to kill me to make dad pay! All those crimes I was framed for must have been a warning."

"Where did you hear this?" Alex asks.

"Jake! He's drunk and I asked him. He's sleeping now."

"What else?"

"He works for both Dead Mercy and Salvation. And Jake is trying to protect me."

"That means SM knows where you are. And now that Jake has told you, he probably wants to get rid of you soon."

"But he might be the one who's going to kill me. I found a gun. But I don't know. He also had a prescription pain killer with his name on it."

"Maybe SM and Dead Mercy's paying him to kill you but he's not going to do it."

"I don't know. We need to do something soon. Caleb's plan can still work, but it's going to be hard. You need to get out of here."

"Alex, how? I'm under house arrest!"

Then dads words ring through my mind, sometimes people have to do things they can not even imagine doing.

Woah! You guys! I'm under What's Rising for Teen Mysteries!! That's crazy! Thank you so much! Is my writing really that good?! Continue voting, commenting, and reading!
Angela xoxo