Chapter 13

I check on Jake every hour and a half. Luckily, he's still alive. Hate to have a murder framed on me too. I emptied the stinky trash can, gagging two times earlier.

I open the door to Casey's room and the smell of alcohol and vomit hit me like a wall. I take a binder clip out of my pocket and stick on my nose and enter the room of death. Casey is going to kill me.

"Olivia." He grabs my wrist. "Thank you."
Before I can say you're welcome, he's passes out again.

•••

I wake up to the familiar sound of dad getting ready for work at 5 in the morning. I hate the sound of his belt jiggling and the gun being checked, knowing that this could be the last sound of him I could hear.

I fall back asleep for maybe a few hours or so.
The sound of the shower in the bathroom next to my room running. I check on Jake, he's not there. He's probably in the shower.

I climb back into bed and scroll through my social media. The water stops running.
My phone rings before I can see where Jake is.

"Hey. I just want to say thanks for last night."
Jake says tired.

"You're welcome."

"I know you got information out of me last night."

"Yeah I'd like to know more though." I look up at the ceiling.

"How about over a cup of coffee?"

"I can't really go anywhere."

"I'm your lawyer, you are going to the office with me today, I'll be back at the house in fifteen minutes."

"Um, okay. See you in fifteen."

I throw a shirt and shorts on and put some makeup on as well. I don't really want to go, but I want more information. Everyone will know who blame if something happens to me anyways.

I text Alex and tell him I'm going out with Jake just as Jake's crew cut hair peaks in.

"Five minutes early, but I need to tell Young where we're going." I follow him downstairs.
"Hey, I'm taking Olivia to the company's sister office. Be back by three."

"Sounds good." Young says. Wow. That was scarily easy.

•••

The ride is silent until I ask a question. "So you work for SM and Jackson? How?"

He looks at me as if I just committed a sin.
"Yes. But they don't know. I just know that SM wants to kill you because your father sent him to jail and Jackson wants to kill you because your father almost sent the whole gang to jail."
"And you're involved in this how?"

"Let's just say I'm working with someone to keep you safe."

"Who? Dad? Mom? Isabelle? Casey?"

We pull up to the garage state workers park in.
"Oh, Casey is your brothers name. I wasn't sure. Nice room he has."

He parks the car in a city garage and we walk to the elevator.

"Do you work here?"

"Kinda."

The elevator doors open to the main floor to the statehouse. I barely remember the tour we took in school, mainly because I was distracted by the art on the walls.

Jake smiles at some people or shakes a hand.
He turns down a hallway and opens a door. The room had four doors and a receptionist desk in the middle.