Chapter 5

We didn't win the talent show, but we all had fun.

Andrew parked the car at Isabelle's house so I could grab my swim suit for the lake. The house was eerily quiet as I ran up the steps to my room.

My bag sits on my bed, just like how I left it. I shuffle through some random unpacked clothes and find my bikini and then get my flip flops and head out the door.

We drive down a country road and stop by a picnic table. Apparently this used to be a park, but the city couldn't fund it anymore so they closed it.

Meg, Char, and I go up to the abandoned bathroom arguing who should go in first.
"Guys, keep it down! The boys will know we're freaked out." I whisper.

Meg raises an eyebrow.

"You can go then." She suggests. I back away. To be honest it is kind of creepy.

Char pushes me into the door and I stumble in.  It's almost as if it was cleaned yesterday but they forget to clean the cobwebs.

"Is it safe?" Meg asks. I say yes annoyed and hide behind in a stall ready to jump out and scare whoever come in first.

It's Char. I jump out and she screams like someone got murdered. I fall against the wall laughing. Meg's face is a ghost and Char looks like she's about to beat me up.

"Sorry! I'm sorry! I couldn't help it!" I yell but still laughing.

"What the heck Olivia! That's not funny!" Char yells. But I see a smile forming and she's laughing too. But Meg is still standing there looking at the floor.

"Meg, you okay?" I ask. She shakes her head.

"Meg?"

"Come here." Her voice is shaky. We walk to where she is and see a huge snake! I scream on the top of my lungs. No. No. No! I hate them so much!

I'm surprised the police haven't heard my scream it's so loud.

The boys run into the bathroom. They ask a million questions. Alex hugs me.

It's almost a phobia to snakes I hate them so much. Apparently so does Meg. I don't even care if it is a fat Gardner snake.

"Olivia, it's okay. It's okay. Calm down." Alex says soothingly.

I shake my head. He should really get a job that involves calming people down. There's almost tears in my eyes when he walks me out with an arm around my shoulder.

"Do you wanted to talk about?"

I shake and nod my head at the same time. He hands me a water bottle and I sip it. My hands shake causing the water to go everywhere.

"It's okay. The snake is dead."

"No it's not. I mean it's not okay. Alex, it scared me to death. I can't stand them. It's so embarrassing too."

"No it's not. You saw me freeze up today." Alex rubs my shoulder. "And I'm also scared of cats." I throw my head back laughing before quickly covering my mouth.

"Cats?" I ask. The moonlight shows his embarrassment.

"Yeah. I was three and playing outside with Caleb. This cat wandered in our yard and Caleb decided to throw something at it. Boys, I know. And then cat must have had anger management issues and it jumped onto me and clawed me on the face. That cat had sharp nails because I was bleeding at the end."

"What the heck." I laugh and Alex points to a scar on the side of his face. It's so small and I barely see it. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to laugh."

"It's fine. Your turn. Why are you scared of snakes?" He asks.

"I don't know. I've never liked them. And the older I got, the more scared I got. I think my ancestors hated them or something. Or maybe in my past life I was killed by a snake." Alex laughs this time.

"I remember once at the zoo, I was with my mom and brother. We went into the Asian exhibit and there's this giant Python. I had to close my eyes and mom led my through the exhibit." He laughs again and I join with him.
"That's funny. Meg hates them too. Because once she had a snake and it got loose at night and slithered around her bed." He shudders.
I look to the lake. The water is clear and the moon reflects off the rippling water from Andrew's rock. Caleb has his arm around Meg's shoulder as she leans into him with a smile on her face. Char hops into the truck and turns on the radio in the bed. 

A string of sparkling light flys up in the sky and explodes into a glittery rain shower. The same chemical reaction happens again. I lean into Alex and smell his Old Spice scented hair.
Char takes out a sparkler and lights it.

"Not in the truck Char!" Andrew yells.

"I was getting out! Chill!" She jumps off and jogs towards the lake.

"Can I have one?" I ask.

"Yep. Check where I was sitting." Char calls. I take a pack out of a small box and light it then jump out of the car.

We swirl the mini fireworks around and then throw them in the lake, close enough for us to get them after they stop.

"Did you all hear that?" Andrew asks. I look over to Meg and Caleb kissing.

"No. What is it?" I ask.

"Wait. Shh!" We all sit quiet. Then we hear it. Sirens. Alex curses and we all jump into the truck. Police sirens! Dad will kill me. "I know a short cut!"

We drive into an old dirt path that seems to be leading to a back road. I look behind me and see the red and blue flashing lights.

"Faster! Andrew, I can't get caught! My dad will kill me!" I almost yell.

"I'm going as fast as I can without ramming into a tree!"

Andrew swings the car right and we reach a solid road, away from the police. I sink into the leather seat with relief.

"How did they even know we were there? We're 10 minutes away from the houses." Andrew asks.

"It was probably my stupid scream." I say.
"If it was your scream they would've already been there."

"Jake." I whisper. It could be him. He obviously didn't like me around him. My whisper was too quiet because nobody asked me who he was.

The rest of the ride was us pondering how the police came. And then there's Meg and Caleb kissing, again. I swear those two are crazy in love.

Andrew drops me and Char off. The lights are back on in the house and I walk in. Isabelle is fast asleep on the couch with the tv on.

I go upstairs and fall fast asleep on my bed. Barely noticing the window ajar. But the warm breeze felt nice.
                         •••
"Um. How about... eh!" My third attempt at ordering an ice cream cone. Too many choices. The girl obviously was getting impatient behind the counter.

"She'll take a vanilla black cherry, three scoops, in a waffle bowl." A voice says behind me.

Who do you think it is? Don't be afraid to vote and comment!
Angela xoxo