Chapter 4

Almost back to Isabelle's and I can't shake the feeling someone's following us. I look over my shoulder too many times.

Once I get inside I say hi to my aunt and run upstairs. I call dad to see if there's anything about the investigation. By the third ring he picks up.

"Hello?" He sounds tired.

"Hey. It's me. Is there anything new on the investigation?"

"No. The camera footage is too pixelated for us to zoom in."

"Oh. Do you know who it is?" Dumb question.

"No."

We are silent for a couple of minutes.

"Is he going to look for me?" I blurt out. Wrong move.

"Chances are no. He knows the jewelry are with the police. Unless there's some significance to him."

I let out a breath and dad says he going to bed. I wish I knew what that man looks like.  It would help him a lot, and maybe get mom less mad at me.

Around mid afternoon, the band comes to Isabelle's house. I hop in Andrew's pick up and we head to a fair in an open field.  It's July 4th and this small, patriotic town is almost like a movie.

Andrew stops at a white Victorian style house. He honks the horn and Megan runs out of the house. She looks gorgeous. But in a few minutes she'll get lost in the sea of red, white, and blue. A red crop top, jean shorts, white flip flops, and a red, sparkly head band. Andrew plays a country station and we drive off to the festival.

The field is crowded with people, games, rides, food, and a huge stage. We all hop out.
Children laugh, cry, and scream around us. Couples kissing after winning a game. The stereotypical festival on a stereotypical Independence Day.

"I think we should ride the swingy thing!" Megan jumps up and down like a child.

"Yes!" I cry. Megan, Alex, and I run up to the ticket booth. The man takes our money and gives us the green wristbands.

We run up to the pirate ship ride and get in line as everyone files on. Megan and I share our enthusiasm with each other. Alex stands behind us, busy on his phone until we're seated. He lets out a shaky breath.

"You okay?" I ask.

"Um. Yeah. I think."  He answers. The ride starts to swing forward.

"Are you sure?"

"No."

"Are you scared of heights?" He nods. "How scared?"

"Just a bit." He tenses up as we slowly fall. Megan and I take his hands as he death gripping the handles.

"Close your eyes." Megan soothes. We swing back up into the sunset. Meg gives me a worried look.

We swing up and down five more times before the ride ends. My hand hurts so much. Once Alex steps off, he lets go and I shake my hand without him seeing, hoping circulation come back.

Char, Andrew, and Caleb meet us at the gate.
"We're on at 8:30." Andrew informs us.

There's a talent show tonight and the Midnight Escape are competing. But I'm not. I couldn't sing in front of a crowd even if I did know the material.

"I think we should go to the lake for fireworks." Meg suggests.

"Sure, but we have get out of here at 9:45. Fireworks start at 10."

"Okay, we have an hour and a half before the show and an hour before we have to check in. What do we want to do?" Char asks.

"Food." Andrew says.