Chapter 14

The person is strong, so strong. They run, carrying me bridal style, down the city road. I feel distant, the shock making me shake.
How far have we gone? Two blocks? Three?
A silver passenger door opens and I'm placed carefully on the leather seat. The person slaps my cheeks lightly saying my name.

"Olivia! Olivia? Please!" The voice yells. The voice gives up and runs to the driver side and drives onto the city road, then onto the beltway, and then they pull over to an abandoned gas station.

"Olivia!" They snap the fingers. Then the person wraps a blanket around me that was in the back. I want sleep, lots of it. My eyelids droop down and then the person lightly slaps my cheek. "Come on! Stay awake."

I can't! Who is this person?

My eyes remain closed and I drift asleep. Dreaming of SM, Casey, Mom and Dad, Jake, Alex, Char, the band, and then the car accident.
•••
I open my eyes, hoping it was all a dream. Where am I? The walls are wood. I pull the blankets on the bed up to my chin despite the heat. I rethink everything. Jake, that was the person. Why didn't I know that?

The door to the room opens and Jake enters.

"Hey. Feeling okay?" He asks worried.

"What happened?" I ask.

"A man crashed into us, you were in shock, and now we're at a house the state gave me that I've never used."

"How long was I asleep?"

"About five hours. Are you okay? "

"I think so."

"Okay, just relax. You're safe, trust me. No one is going to get near you." He pats my shoulder and leaves me to rest.

The room is small, wooden, and simple. He's definitely never used this place. I start to climb out of bed, but I'm too tired so I call Jake's name. I didn't even get to the A before he popped his head in.

"Can I have some water?" He nods and returns a moment later with a glass. "Thanks."

"Yep, anything else?"

"Does my dad know where I am?"

"Yes, I told him what happened. Now rest."  I sip the water then fall back asleep.

The two men haunt my dreams.

The sunlight shines through the window and the room is probably hotter than the sun. I kick the tangled blanket off of me and open the door Jake came and went from. It opened to an open, but small, living space and a small kitchen.

I hear a shower running as I open the fridge door.  Where does he get water from? I take a cold water bottle and feel the refreshing, ice water through the plastic. The water from the shower stops. I take a cup of yogurt and look in the wooden drawers for a spoon.  A door opens and Jake walks out, with no shirt on.

"My eyes!" I joke.

"You have a brother."

I open a drawer trying to avoid looking.

"Yeah, but when it's your brother it's normal.  I'm going to avoid looking..."

"Thanks. Be out in a minute." He laughs and goes into another room.  I find a spoon and sit at the table. Jake comes out and places a frying pan on the stove.

"How'd you sleep?" He asks, cracking an egg.

"Okay. I had some nightmares about the men."

"Well the one that smashed into us died and the other one went somewhere else. Are you feeling okay? Taking you to a hospital was too dangerous, luckily, I'm certified to do first aid."

"Still tired. But I think I'm okay."

"Good. I'm staying for today. But tomorrow I need to go back to work." He places a sunny side up egg on a green plate and sits across from me. "I invited Alex, Charlotte, and Caleb to stay with us. So when I go to get some things I'll sneak them out."

I smile a little.

"Also, the chief is having dinner with us tonight."

My stomach churns looking at the pink yogurt, now looking like slime as much as I love it.
"I don't feel good..." I mumble.

"What?"

"Where's the bathroom?"

Jake jumps up and helps me toward the bathroom. I flip the toilet lid up and all the food I probably ate in the past twenty four hours lands in the water. I squeeze my eyes shut, like I always do, because seeing the puke makes me feel worse. Jake pats my back as my mouth forces open again. He pulls my hair back and tears sting my cheeks. I always do cry a little when I throw up. I get so weak and hot it's my body's way of cooling down.

"It's okay, it's okay." Jake reassures.

I collapse on the cold ground that feels amazing compared to my overheated body. Jake places a rolled up towel under my head and brings a glass of water in. I shake my head as he tries to hand me the glass. "Too soon?" I nod.

I gain enough strength to pull my head towards the toilet again and puke whatever my stomach found inside, which would be nothing besides some organs and I bet those are still inside... or are they? I sit back on the floor leaning against the shower door.

"I'm definitely not leaving you out of my sight." Jake shakes his head and I gladly sip the water he bought earlier. Then I hear him mumble, "should've taken her to the hospital..."

I'm too tired to question him, but it worries me. He's helps me up and we walk to a couch in the living area. I roll on my side and close my eyes. Sleep is such a wonderful thing!