Confident || Simon Minter

It was a cold London night outside, but inside was so stuffy that Y/N felt suffocated. She was there for a party; a small one for her friend Tobi's birthday. As it was almost all only YouTubers there, she was familiar with most of them though work and felt completely comfortable in their company, however the apartment was just so full that she had begun to feel crowded. She'd come out onto the balcony just to get some fresh air and take in the sight of the city lights at night. (tongue twister lmao)

The quiet crack and sliding sound of the glass door opening broke the silence of the night and Y/N turned abruptly.

"Calm down, calm down, it's only me." Simon laughed, holding his hands up in front of him, palms out. His grin was infectious and Y/N smiled back, turning her body to face him. They'd only been friends for a month or so, but they shared so many personality traits that the two of them got on like they'd been friends for years.

"Oh, damn. And there's me thinking it might be someone exciting." She replied with a casual eye roll. Simon wrapped his long arm around her shoulders, pulling her into his chest playfully.

"Watch your mouth, Y/L/N." He warned teasingly, ruffling her hair. The touch of his fingers through her hair made Y/N's face heat up instantly, and she realised again, like every time they were together, how much he affected her like that. Since she met him there had always been a slight buzz in her body as they talked, a nervousness that she tried to ignore. But standing alone on the balcony together with his arm tight around her shoulders made it a hell of a lot more difficult to manage.

They stood in each other's company like that for a few silent seconds. Whether it was because he'd just been inside or whether he was just naturally warm-blooded, Simon's arm was burning against Y/N's bare skin, making the rest of her exposed body prick with goosebumps. When Simon noticed them on her arms, he began to rub them vigorously.

"Jesus, Y/N, why are you out here when you're clearly freezing?! S'everything alright?" His blue eyes were concerned, and she felt an automatic fluttering in her stomach that she forced down desperately.

"I'm fine." She replied, ducking her head away from him. "Just needed some space, I guess." As she said it, she realised how stupid it sounded to say she needed space when she was quite clearly fine with being wrapped in his arms.

He picked up on it too, holding her at arm's length to give her a teasing, one-side-turned-up smirk. When she didn't make eye contact, he used one of his long fingers to tilt her chin up, grinning when her gaze met his eyes.

"Fuck off, Simon. I meant space to breathe!" She laughed, pulling out of his grip and leaning back out over the balcony. He followed right behind her though, snaking his arms around her waist and resting his head on her shoulder. She could feel his breathing in her ear and it was making her hair stand on end. She didn't want to move.

"She thought the view was beautiful, but I thought she was more beautiful." He whispered, and Y/N had never felt more alert in her life. But then he laughed, breaking his grip and turning to lean on the balcony beside her, and she bit her lip, internally cursing herself for falling for his teasing like that.

To him, there was nothing but friendship between them, and the sooner she could accept that, the sooner she could get over him.

"Fuck you!" She giggled again, but it sounded so forced even to her own ears that she internally cringed. For once, he didn't catch it though, or at least didn't bring it up. He was staring serenely out at the night, seemingly suddenly deep in thought. Then he caught himself, apparently remembering where he was, and directed another cheeky smile back at her.

"But I'm not lying though." His big blue eyes looked like deep pools in the dark night, the real colour only distinguishable from Y/N's own memories. She knew her own eyes were intent and wide in his gaze, and before she got distracted, she tore them away.

"Simon Minter, you are next level!" She said in exasperation. She started to spin around but his warm hand caught her arm.

He smirked. "Say that again."

She gaped, much to his amusement, before spluttering, "It's not a compliment!"

He pulled her back into his arms and it was like a dance, only Y/N didn't know the steps. Both hands on the small of her back, Simon tilted his face down towards hers. His lips were almost touching her ear when he spoke. "Any time you speak to me is a compliment." He replied, and how did he make something so stupid and contradictory sound like something you whispered to someone as you lifted their veil on your wedding day, before your last first kiss? And then she knew what was coming before his lips touched hers but it was still just as magical, the winking city lights that had seemed so bright before dimming to match the atmosphere that had so suddenly been created, the party inside rushing away at a million miles an hour to leave them alone out there in each other's arms.

It could have lasted a minute or an hour, but when they parted she was aching to take a breath, her head spinning. Only because I wasn't breathing. She told herself, but just catching sight of Simon inches away from her face started up the tight, out-of-breath feeling in her chest again and she knew it was a big fat lie to keep herself sane.

She watched his lips part and his eyes start to flutter open, but ducked her head out of his stare when they did. Again, one of his hands caught her chin to turn her face back to his, but it wasn't nearly as satisfying as last time because it left an empty spot on her back where it belonged. He laughed under his breath when she caught hold of it and replaced it.

Another silent moment, then Simon broke it again. "Fuck." He murmured. "It's gonna sound cheesy as hell, but you've no idea how long I've wanted to do that. If it had been socially acceptable to do it the first time I set eyes on you, I probably would've, but-"

"I would've let you."

"What?" Simon had been caught off guard in the middle of his sentence.

"Nothing."

"Okay? -but I think that it would've been... a little unexpected."

Y/N couldn't help her smile. "A little. But it wouldn't have been a bad thing, I can tell you that."

While she was talking, Simon had been biting his lip, but he broke into his wide, trademark smile when she finished. "So, um, so..."

"Wow, where's confident Simon gone all of a sudden?" She teased, but now the friendship barrier had been broken and he didn't even bother trying to finish his sentence before crashing his lips back on hers.