Paper Tears. (Chapter 24)

Cody’s eyes were filled with tears, but he didn’t let them escape down his cheeks before he wiped them away.

He got up, dizzy, and walked out of the music room to answer the door.

The house was dark, and everything was blurry from the tears.

He walked to what seemed forever.

When he got to the door, he opened it just to find Kylie standing there, with tears in her eyes too.

“Cody,” she said, “are you alright?”

Cody looked up at her, but didn’t answer. He pulled her in for a hug because they both seemed to need one.

“Come inside.” Cody said, closing the door behind Kylie.

They went to the kitchen and sat on the barstools, just staring at each other. 

“What happened?” Kylie said to break the silence.

“I don’t think you want to hear it.” Cody said.

“What do you mean? Of course I want to know.”

“It’s about [yn].” Cody said.

Kylie’s face hardened. “What did she do?”

“This is kind of weird to be talking about,” Cody hesitated, “but when we were, uh, kissing, she said her ex-boyfriend’s name.” a tear fell down his cheek.

Her mouth dropped, “that bitch.”

“I’m gonna go talk to her.” Cody said, getting up.

“I don’t think that’s a good idea,” Kylie said, getting up behind Cody. “Let me go.”

“I don’t think that’s a good idea, Kylie. She thinks you hate her, but me, I still love her, and I need to get things straightened out.” Cody said as he continued walking towards the stairs.

“Whatever.” Kylie said, and then went for the door.

When Cody was up the stairs, we walked to your room.

He heard you crying to the point where it was hard to breathe.

Which made the tears in his eyes start to well up again.

He couldn’t face you yet, he wanted to, but he didn’t want you seeing him cry.

Cody put his back to your door, and slid down it to sit on the ground.

He tucked his head into his knees, and silently cried.

You were still lying on your bed, sobbing into the pillow. 

You could feel Cody’s presence around you, so you looked at the door and saw his shadow.

You knew you couldn’t talk to him, so you wrote a letter:

Dear Cody, I’m sorry. So, so, sorry. I don’t know why I did it. I was on the phone with Anthony before, and he said he’s hurt you if I didn’t break up with you. I don’t want to do that, but I might have already by doing what I did. He told me that he loved the way that I said his name. That it sounded like the way I used to say it when I loved him, and when we were together. I still love you, Cody. I always will. But if you want me to leave and never talk to you again, it’s fine, I understand. Whatever I have to do to keep you happy. I’ll do anything.

The paper was damp in some parts from the tears, and the ink was a little smudged. 

You picked up the paper, and walking to the door, knelt down, and slid it under the door.

You heard Cody move and open the letter.

You sat and leaned your back against the door.

You tried to listen for some type of reaction from Cody.

But all you hear was the crumpling of the paper.

He slid it back under the door to you.

You felt the tears coming.

When you opened the paper, there was red letters across your words.

‘I still love you’ it said. With an arrow pointing to the back.

You flipped it over to see ‘but why?” written.

You took your pen out of your pocket and wrote ‘because he was my first. But I want to make sure you’re my last.’

You crumpled it back up again, and slid it under the door.

Cody got up and started walking away.

When you heard you got up and opened the door.

You ran out.

“Cody.” you said.

You felt so weak.

He turned around and looked at you. “Yes?”

“I’m sorry,” you said, walking towards him.

“I know.” Cody started walking towards you too, and once you met, and you hugged him so tight.

You felt the dampness on his shirt.

You looked up at him to see that his eyes were red from tears.

“Don’t cry over me,” you said.

“I can’t help it,” he said. “But you’ll be the last girl I’ll cry over.”