Chapter 44- Friends in High Places

Cheshire's POV

"Where is it, man?! WHERE IS IT?!" the boy shouted, anger rising in his voice as he dug through my belongings.

"Boy," I called him, "Don't touch that! Why do you want the feather so much, anyway?"

"The name's Ethro," he said, "And you mean, don't touch this?" He pointed to a table filled with priceless antiques and treasures I had... borrowed from people and didn't intend to return. Ethro stuck a long finger at a vase and poked it so it rolled on its base and almost tipped over. "Petra told me everything. About how you stole from her. And now, I intend to get it back."

Ah, so Petra was behind this.

"How can you know that she told you everything if you weren't even there?" I asked.

"Look, I don't wanna play your game!" he shouted, "I want the quill! Tell me where it is!"

"Alright, alright! Fine! I buried the quill outside by the moat. You may find it there," I said.

"You think I'm just gonna believe that?" Ethro said, "Where is it really?"

"And why would I tell you that?"

"Oh, you want to do this the hard way, old man?" he asked, cracking his neck. I didn't know why he called me that; I wasn't all that much older than him.

"No, I just don't want to give you my feather," I said.

"Fine then," he said. His eyes went solid light blue, emitting a light as his body levitated off the ground a few feet into the air. I stepped back into a defensive stance.

"Listen, I wouldn't recommend you do that, Ethro," I said, "I know 10 different ways I could kill you and those aren't even using a weapon." While what I said was true, I wasn't sure if that applied to magical people like Ethro, but I needed some way to get him to back off.

"You think that's gonna scare me?" he asked. His voice started not sounding much like his own like it had a metallic sound layered on top of it.

"Hmm, funny how I thought you were just an angry boy scout at first..." I said. He held his hands out as a glowing, blue orb began to form inside them. I rolled out of the way when he shot it at me. It crashed into a wall behind me, leaving a smoking dent. Ethro grinned in satisfaction.

I urgently ran, searching for a weapon. Something that shoots. I wasn't sure how I could take the boy—Ethro--- out with just my hands and he could easily fly away from a sword.

"Where do you think you're going, little guy?" Ethro asked as he landed in front of me, the stone floor getting crushed beneath his feet. He formed another orb and sent it flying at me. I tried to duck out of the way, but this time it had me. I was sent flying with it across the room until I was smashed into another wall. I hit the floor, my head spinning.

Ethro prepared another charge at me, but I beat him to it. I lunged onto him, grabbing him by the wrists and pinning him to the floor.

"You think I don't know how to fight, boy?" I said. I punched him in the cheek for emphasis. I would've gone for the nose, but that would be ruthless. The cheek might give him a painful bruise, but it wouldn't affect him too much other than that.

Ethro let out a small groan and tried to roll away, but I caught him before he could move.

"Let me go!" Ethro shouted, trying to squirm out of my arms. He managed to free an arm and tried to punch me in the nose. I shot my head out of the way as his fist punched the air.