Chapter 3- Love Songs and More Walkers

I led Jesse, Lukas, and Petra back through the autumn trees to the hut. I'm sure Maya and Gill wouldn't mind them. Especially Maya, who had a crush on Lukas since the day he let her in the Ocelots.

I wasn't sure why the three of them were covered in water and blood and their rancid smell, but I tried to ignore that. What I was really trying to ignore was my heart trying to explode out of my chest at the sight of Petra. I think I already embarrassed myself when I smiled like a complete idiot when I saw her. Hopefully, she didn't notice...

"Um, Aiden?" asked Jesse. I snapped out of my "Petra trance" and looked back at her.

"Yes?" I replied.

"Is this it?" she asked. I turned around and found that I was walking past the hut.

"Um, yeah," I said as I nervously ran my fingers through my hair and paced back over to the door.

Shake it off, man, shake it off. You can do this.

I cleared my throat as I stepped inside, where I found Maya and Gill doing something.

"Oh, hey, Aiden, Jesse, Petra, Lukas," said Maya as she smiled and tried her best to brush her fingers through her shoulder-length auburn hair and adjust her shirt- staring directly at Lukas making him feel super uncomfortable.

"Hey, Maya," said Jesse cheerily, not taking notice of creepy stalker love-sick Maya.

"Oh, look what the cat dragged in," said Gill starkly as he stepped forward facing the Order, "It's the loser squad who thought they could steal all of your credit, right Aiden? Well, they're no match for the... BLAZE RO-"

"GILL!" I angrily interrupted, "We're not doing that anymore, remember?"

Gill's eyes widened as he remembered that painful day at Sky City when we realized the hard way that we, the "Blaze Rods," were a bunch of idiotic freak-shows.

I desperately needed to change the subject.

"So, what do you think?" I asked.

Petra examined the room, then said, "Cool place."

"Really?" I asked, my voice squeaking a little at the "ee" part. Dangit, voice! Why haven't I outgrown that yet? Gill has, and I'm a year older than him! Girls seriously have it easy...

"Are you okay, Aiden?" asked Petra, when I suddenly realized that I was blushing like a complete imbecile.

"Um, yeah, totally fine," I stammered as I blushed harder. Mostly over the fact that I was blushing- in front of Petra.

"Man, Aiden!" began Gill, "You're beat red! You must be wayy in lo--"

I slapped my hand over his mouth. My face was about as red as Petra's hair at this point. Argh! Why that analogy?? Although, at the same time... mentioning her hair... No! Snap out of it, you fool!

"Uh, Aiden," began Maya, "Can I talk to you for a sec? Like, over there?" She pointed behind her.

"Yeah," I said softly as I followed her into a corner.

Maya looked around to make sure nobody was listening.

"I know you love her," she said with a smirk.

"Who's 'her?'" I asked, seeing how long I could go without having to admit to liking Petra.

"Petra, genius!" Maya quietly exclaimed. (Yeah, I know. That's an oxymoron, but I think you know what I mean)

I looked back at Petra, who was saying something to the group, then back at Maya.

"Yeah," I said, "a lot."