Chapter 39- The Deal

Jesse's POV

I made it through into the castle unscathed.

Step one: nailed it. Now, I had another problem, and that would be finding Petra. Or maybe that would be step three. The real step two was simply navigating the hallways of the castle- that place was huge!

The first room I walked into was very grand, and it looked as though it had a bit of a Gothic touch to it. The bricks were black and there was a large, expensive looking chandelier dimly lighting the place. A circular carpet sat in the middle of the round room, and various corridors branched off the sides.

"Whoa..." I said, stepping into the middle of the room. My voice danced off the sides of the walls releasing an echo. I spun in a circle to get a panoramic view of the place. Decorations were hung around the place including banners and shields.

I knew that if I just started searching around, it would take too long to find Petra, so I resorted to the next thing that came to mind.

"He-llo?" I called. Yeah, I know, kind of stupid, but a part of me hoped it would work.

Everyone must have been asleep because there was no answer. I suppose Dan's power has its downsides too.

The only thing left was deductive reasoning. The hallways seemed to just lead to different rooms of the castle. (Which I was hoping to explore later. The place was so cool!)

"Ah, hello there," I said, noticing a hatch on the floor somewhat hidden away. I walked over to it, my footsteps echoing off the sides of the walls.

I opened the hatch, which opened up to a ladder leading downward.

"Ooh, creepy!" I said in delight as I started down. It shuddered under my weight but stayed in place as I climbed.

The ladder led down to a gray stone room. Around the place were tables of various scattered papers and scribbles of things. Off on the sides of the walls looked to be cages, or jail cells.

"Huh," I said as I walked inside.

"Jesse!" someone whispered. I looked in the first cell, and chained up inside was Petra.

"Petra!" I said happily as I rushed over, "What are you do—"

Petra looked scared. "Jesse! Behind you!"

I jumped as a pair of hands grabbed firmly on my shoulders. I struggled to turn around, but they had me tightly in their grasp.

"Uh! Let me go!" I squirmed. They grabbed me by the ear and pulled me along. I tried to resist, but that just made it hurt more. They swung open a cell door across from Petra and threw me inside. I landed hard on my side as they slammed the door shut and locked it.

"Oh! Hey!" I exclaimed. He turned around and backed away from the cell. He wore all black and what looked like a red and white cat mask over his face. I could only assume that it was Cheshire.

"You expect to just waltz right in and free her?" he said, "It doesn't work like that. Not with me. Who are you?!"

"I'm afraid that isn't your business!" I said angrily.

"How did you contact her?" he demanded, turning to Petra.

"I didn't!" Petra protested, "She found me herself!"

"Oh, so she just knew you'd be here?!"

"Apparently!"

Cheshire sighed and calmed himself down.

"Look," he said, "I'm not here to harm you. Yet. All I want is that feather quill, and you can both be free. That's it. But if you make me go to further measures to get what I want, I will not hesitate."