Chapter 36- Dragons

Petra's POV

"Hey, Petra, how're you feeling?" Caenis loudly burst through the door causing me to jump out of my trance.

"Hey..." I said, sitting up in the bed, "Didn't hear you coming... Caenis..."

"Oh, ha-ha, sorry about that!" he said cheerily, "So, no panic attacks or anything?"

"Nothing happened."

"Hmm..." Caenis thought, rubbing his chin, "I would let you go, but I think it'd be safest for you to just stay here for a little while longer."

I didn't like that. I already hated that room, but now I really, really wanted to get out. I had to get that quill for Ethro, and I wanted to do it sooner than later. I needed a plan.

"Uh, hey, Caenis," I said, "I'm a bit thirsty... could I go get myself some water?"

"No, you stay here and take it easy!" he said, walking over and helping me lay down in the bed. He adjusted the sheet around me.

"I will get it for you," he said, beginning to walk out of the room.

"I think I can get it myself," I said, "I'll be fine."

"No, no, no, I am going to be nice and get it for you. It's the kind thing to do." He waved his arms in front of him in protest.

"The nice thing, huh?" I said, "What if I told you that I'm nicer. I will bring you water too." I slowly rose from the uncomfortable mattress.

"Ah-ha... what?" Caenis laughed as if he couldn't believe what he was hearing, "Silly Petra, I think I'm the nice one... I will bring you water... and that is final!"

"Oh yeah?" I said, standing up and getting ready to run. I was pretty fast even when I wasn't at my best, and by the looks of this guy I could outrun him easily.

"Yes! I'm going to get you a drink, and while I'm at it, I'll get you another blanket as well!"

"Sure you will," I said, "If you can catch me!"

I dashed out the door, pushing him aside, then darted down the hallway.

"Wait! Hold on!" I heard him call from behind. His feet pounded against the wood of the floor as he looked for me.

Once I believed I had lost him, I began to frantically search rooms. I stopped short on a carpet in a hallway, making it start to slide. I turned quickly and regained my balance as I raced into the room beside me.

In it was a small work desk with a few scrolls laying about. There was a quill and ink, but it was just normal writing ink.

"Uggh, where is it?!" I said as I frantically opened each drawer on the desk, looking for something that could possibly be the magic quill.

I continued this process for a few rooms until Caenis's footsteps could be heard down a staircase nearby.

"Petra!" he said, "I got you some water!"

Hearing this, I dashed back out of the room, sprinted down the hallway and ran back to my room. I jumped onto the thin mattress with a thud.

"Oww...!" I said when my bottom hit the boards underneath. Throwing the covers over me, I laid back down.

Caenis came strolling in carrying a glass potion-like bottle filled with water. In his other hand was a folded-up blanket.

"Aw... you beat me..." I said unenthusiastically.