Chapter 21- Downtown

Jesse's POV

We set off down a sidewalk, trying to forget the past. We had a mission ahead of us, and we couldn't let grief get in the way.

As if nature was trying to make us feel bad, guess what? It started raining. Fantastic.

"Well, great," Lukas said.

"We're not gonna let this get in the way of what we have to do," I reminded, "Come on. Let's find that portal."

As we walked down the sidewalk, I couldn't help but have this paranoid feeling... like we were being followed.

"Guys?" I asked, "Is someone following us?"

"Well, I didn't think so until you said that," said Petra.

"Sorry."

"I think you might just be paranoid, Jesse," Lukas said, "I don't see anyone."

I didn't believe him.

He might be right, though. I thought. You're probably just paranoid because of how Gabriel acted last night. Notch knows where he is now.

Suddenly, a loud bang echoed through the rain and Lukas winced in pain and grabbed his arm.

"What? What happened?" I asked.

"Agh, my arm is on fire!" he exclaimed.

"But it's raining!" Petra said.

"No... it... oww..."

"Jesse! Are you trying to run away from me!?" someone yelled.

"Oh, no," Petra said. A truck came slowly driving up the side of the road. Looking out the passenger side was Gabriel, pointing his middle finger in the air.

"You thought I was gone, didn't you?" he said through the rain. I could see his head twitching slightly. His buddy in the steering wheel chuckled.

"Just leave us alone!" I yelled.

"I'll leave you alone when I'm satisfied. I was hoping to shoot you last night, Jesse."

I looked at him in confusion as he leaned back into the car to grab something. I looked over at Petra and Lukas.

"Jesse, Lukas," Petra said in a low voice, "run."

My legs seemed to understand faster than my brain because I took off without knowing what Gabriel was doing. I could hear Lukas's footsteps pounding on the shiny, wet sidewalk right behind.

There it was again—the sound of a gunshot.

Again, a scream.

I turned around in horror as the pictures moved in slow motion. My heart thumped and my throat tightened as I saw Petra fall forward onto the sidewalk with a thud. My mouth dropped open. This wasn't happening. The world grew blurry as my head spun. I couldn't breathe. I could feel my heart beating faster. My legs couldn't hold me for long. Petra was going to get up... any minute now. She always does.

"GET OUT OF HERE!" I heard Gabriel scream, "SOMEONE CALLED THE MOTHERF---ING POLICE!" The car tires squealed against the asphalt as the car sped away. I could hear sirens in the distance. This wasn't happening.

The world appeared in flashes. I saw the police coming. A saw ambulances. Flashing lights. Rain. I saw Petra being lifted into the ambulance. Some people ran to Lukas. Police cars sped down the road after Gabriel. Rain. There were reporters and cameramen. 

"How do you feel about this whole matter?" a woman asked as she shoved a microphone at Lukas. I could faintly hear her voice.

"He's badly injured! Get away from him!" someone yelled.