Chapter 14- Luktra

Lukas's POV

            "I gotta say, Lukas," Petra began as we dug out the blocks of gravel, "even though this digging is tedious and boring, this has been quite the adventure so far." She smiled.

            "Well, I'm glad you think so, but remember we still have to look for Aiden," I told her.

            "Right," she said.

            We continued breaking the blocks and ended up with more than enough gravel, flint, feathers, and rotten flesh. Not the most useful things ever, but I guess it's better than nothing.

            "Alright," Petra said as she dusted her hands together, "I think that's it. Good work."

            "Thanks," I replied, "You too."

            She then did a double-take at something behind me.

            "I didn't notice that there before."

            I turned and saw a wooden door on the wall. Just an normal, everyday door. I looked and saw one across from it too.

            "The zombies must have been blocking them," I said, "You wanna check them out?"

            "I've been waiting for you to say that," she said with a smile as she walked past me and toward the door, "Come on."

            She opened it, and the smell hit us way too quickly. It was like a zombie crawled up my nose and died... again.

            "Aw, gross! What is that smell?!" she exclaimed between coughs.

            "Ugh, I think I'm going blind!" I exclaimed.

            She suddenly became quiet and looked at the room with wide eyes.

            "L-Lukas? I think I just found Aiden."

            I stopped and checked. People were laying all around the floor with arrows sticking out of them. I gasped.

            "Holy crap," I said under my breath while forcing back more coughing.

            "That must be what happened," Petra said as she pointed at something on the wall. I saw dispensers that had presumably shot them out.

            "Aiden," I said when I noticed his body lying among them. A lump filled my throat. I looked into the face of my murdered friend. My palms were sweating. I had known him forever, but now he was just... gone.

            I felt a hand wrap around my back. I looked over and saw Petra looking at me with sympathetic eyes.

            "I'm sorry," she said, "If you want to stop here, it's okay."

            I thought for a moment, then said,

            "I can't let this stop us. We have to find out who did this."

            "Alright. Will you be okay?"

            I nodded.

            "Yeah. Let's go check that other room now."

            We sullenly exited the room and closed the door. Funny how you can enter a room feeling fine, then exit with a hole in your soul. Contrary, it felt like if I just looked far enough, I could find him alive somewhere else.