Chapter 35- Visit from the Dream Boy

Jesse's POV

"Alright, what is it?" Sheldon asked nonchalantly.

"Go look!" she said, pointing into the woods but not daring to go back herself. We stood up from our positions and crossed over into the thick trees.

There was a large nest, and sleeping in it was a tiny, scaly creature.

"What, just a dragon?" Sheldon asked, picking it up with his two fingers and thumb, holding it up to a reluctant Juniper. It stayed peacefully asleep. "Practically harmless."

"A dragon?!" Maya asked, alarmed. Juniper cautiously stepped into the group.

"Yeah, dragons are a bit of a threat... but when they're this small they don't really do much." Sheldon said, holding it out to Juniper, who backed away. She shook her head.

"Nope, no, no, nope!" she said, "I still don't like it."

The baby yawned, as it began to wake up.

"Shelly, you're gonna antagonize it," Darling warned. Sheldon turned it around, examining its fine scales. Its back shimmered in royal blue with red accents.

"Be careful with him," Magnolia said, "If I remember correctly, the dragon species with blue and red scales and gray fangs can be deadly. Can you see his mouth?"

Juniper whimpered and stepped backward a few paces. Sheldon gently adjusted the dragon in his hands to make its head face him. Cautiously, he put his finger to the dragon's lower lip and pulled it downward. He squinted.

"Is it dangerous?" Darling asked, stepping away as well.

"Hard to tell..." Sheldon said as he put it closer to his face.

"What do you mean hard to tell??" Juniper exclaimed, "Are the teeth gray or not gray?!"

"They're like... gray-ish blue... I don't know! I'm not good with color!" he said, lowering the dragon from his face. It gurgled a little.

"You know, it's actually kind of cute!" Juniper said, coming closer and smiling, "Hello, little guy!"

It gurgled some more. Sheldon gave a wry expression.

"Is it hungry?" he asked.

"It's gurgling?" Magnolia asked.

"Yeah... uh, it's okay, calm down, shh," Sheldon, patted the dragon, trying in vain to calm it down. It seemed to be choking for a moment, then threw up a gray substance onto Sheldon's shirt.

"It puked! It puked on me!" Sheldon said, holding it far away from his body. The dragon struggled to get out of his hands. Nightmelody stifled a chuckle in the background, just observing the action.

"Okay, okay, calm down little guy," Magnolia said as she gently let the dragon into her arms.

"Gross!" Sheldon said, trying to wipe the substance from his tunic. His blue eyes widened when it touched his hands.

"Grah, why does it hate me?!" he said, wiping his hands on his pants.

"Does that hurt?" Magnolia asked, rocking the dragon to sleep in her arms.

"Yes!" Sheldon grunted, making sure to get all the contents off of his hands.

"Then this is a highly dangerous species," Magnolia said calmly as the dragon yawned and its eyes fluttered shut, "He was trying to eat you."

"Eat me?" Sheldon chuckled, "But it's tiny."

"When it gets bigger it'll be more of a threat. It spits digestive fluids at things before it consumes them because of its sensitive teeth."