Chapter 26

Jesse's POV

"Jesse," someone whispered as they gently shook my arm, "Jesse, wake up."

"Mm?" I said groggily as I barely opened my eyes. Lukas was leaning over me.

"Come on! We have to go!" he said.

"Where?" I asked, sitting up and stretching. My body felt achy and sore like I had been working hard.

"To the hospital, to see Petra," he said. That name triggered memories of the entire night to return.

"Lukas," I began, "I don't think..."

"Come on," he insisted.

I got up carefully from the couch and looked across the room out the window.

"The sun isn't even out yet," I said as I walked over.

"That's fine," Lukas said, "We won't be late for school."

I was going to argue that it might be pointless to go to the hospital now, but he was already heading out the door. I sighed and followed.

Outside, I noticed that the clouds were starting to roll in.

"Looks like it's gonna rain later," Lukas said, looking up.

"Mm-hmm," I nodded.

"I sure hope Petra's okay," he sighed, "She will be. That was all a dream. Erin even said so. Well, sort of."

"Yeah, me too," I agreed, "but, Lukas? What if she isn't?"

He didn't respond for a while.

"I don't know."

We made it to the hospital just as it started to drizzle. Lukas and I hurried inside and waited for someone to say it was okay for us to see Petra.

Thinking about Petra made me feel uneasy; it felt like something was blocking the blood flow to my head. My stomach was in knots, like something was trying to be free.

Finally, a nurse with a dull facial expression and a clipboard in her arms came out to us. I was on the edge on my seat waiting for her to give us the news.

"Well, the good news is, her body returned this morning, right back in bed where she was."

"Body?" Lukas choked.

"Ah, yes. Uh, Petra..." the nurse began, "she didn't make it." She cleared her throat, "Uh, we did everything we could, but it was already too late. The examination proved her dead. I, uh, I'm deeply sorry."

That word "dead" pounded into my chest. A silence filled the room.

"Miss?"

"Yeah," I said, "Thanks for trying, ma'am."

As I was about to walk out, she added,

"Wait."

I looked back.

"May I get your address before you go?"

I turned to Lukas, hoping he knew the address to our apartment.

"Uh, yeah," he said. She handed him a slip of paper and pen. He scribbled something onto it and handed it back.

"Thank you. We'll do what we can to help you cope with your loss. I know what it's like," the nurse said, "just... take it easy. We'll just keep her in the mortuary for now until you're ready for the next step."

We stepped outside the hospital with heavy shoulders. The rain wasn't that bad, still very slight.

"Darn it," Lukas murmured. He grabbed his head, "Darn it!"