Seventeen: The Bar

Italy
City, Venice

The smell of liquor and smoke filled the lungs of Luciana Romana as she sat at a table with her friend Ezio.

Ezio had been enjoying a beer, insisting that one cup was not enough to get him drunk.

Luciana had a low tolerance to alcohol, and stayed away from it as much as possible.

"Are you sure you don't want a sip?" Ezio offered for the second time.

She shook her head, before turning towards the people dancing in the centre of the small bar. "I'll pass." She muttered, barely audible over the loud music.

Ezio lowered his eyebrows as his brown eyes gazed at the young woman in front of him.

He then opened his mouth to speak. "What have I done to make you hate me so much?" He asked, leaning over the table so that he was much closer to her. "Is it because I don't love you?"

As the words escaped his mouth, Luciana felt her heart shatter all over again.

"No." She clenched her teeth. "It is not because you don't love me."

"Then what is it?" He asked, setting the large cup down on the wooden table between them.

Her head slowly turned to look at him. "It is because you tricked me into thinking you loved me." She explained.

Ezio scoffed. "And how did I do that?"

She leaned over the table as well, their faces inches apart. "You tried to kiss me. You gave me your stupid necklace! And you kissed me on the cheek."

Ezio laughed for real this time. "That necklace is just a necklace. Does not mean I love you. Same with the cheek kiss, it is tradition in Italy. And when I tried to kiss you that night... I got caught in the moment."

Luciana laughed, running a hand over her loose hair which she had taken down.

Ezio admired the way her perfect brown hair cascaded over her shoulders and down to the small of her back.

"I guess I am angry for nothing then. Right?" She asked.

"What? No. You have a right to be upset. But I still need help understanding why." He answered.

"How much more information do you need to know to understand the fact that I love you!" She almost yelled at the man.

Ezio sat still in his seat, eyes wide, hand gripping the tin cup of beer on the table.

"Lucy, I-"

"No. I do not want to talk about this any longer." She said sternly, turning back to the crowd of dancing people.

Ezio did the same, watching as the men and woman held each other and spun together in sync to the beat of the live music.

"Would you like to dance?" He blurted out without thinking.

Of course she wouldn't want to dance you idiota, she is angry! He yelled at himself in his mind.

Luciana looked at him, almost shocked about how unaware he was about her feelings.